Source of D16 engine mounts

Cars or parts on Ebay that are Rover 200/400 related.

Moderator: Forum Staff

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Coupe

Source of D16 engine mounts

Postby GTiJohn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm aware that mine will wear out eventually and having donated my second-hand front mount to the Resto 216 I've been looking for a replacement spare.

I found this fella - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Febest24com?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 and bought a part from him. It's actually looks rather good but I've yet to fit it to my car...

With his help I'm going to see if I can identify other parts that'll fit our cars. He might even include them in the models covered making them easier to find. I've had to search for 'Concerto' :laughing2
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Re: Source of D16 engine mounts

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 pm

GTiJohn wrote:I'm aware that mine will wear out eventually and having donated my second-hand front mount to the Resto 216 I've been looking for a replacement spare.

I found this fella - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Febest24com?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 and bought a part from him. It's actually looks rather good but I've yet to fit it to my car...

With his help I'm going to see if I can identify other parts that'll fit our cars. He might even include them in the models covered making them easier to find. I've had to search for 'Concerto' :laughing2

The rear mount that Febest do for the Concerto is incorrectly handed for the Rovers. Rover swapped the handedness of the rear mount between auto and manual for reasons best known to themselves. I know this because I've had to press Honda manual mount rubber into a Honda auto mount frame to replace mine. It would work, but it would be noticeably softer with more engine wobble reminiscent of a driveline shunt when going on the power and off again. Might also wear out the front mount more quickly I assume.

Meyle's correctly-handed mount for manual Honda R8s (with auto rubber installed) is Honda part code 50810-SH3-981 (or 982, 983, 984 or 985) - you can find this on Ebay, made by Meyle (try searching for 50810-SH3-985, not 981). You could take the Febest rear manual mount for a Concerto, cut out the bush and insert it into this frame to get a Rover manual rear mount... Manual rubber can be had from some other aftermarket parts from the US and Australia. Rock auto also has loads of parts for US$10+ but they need importing. Insane that we're missing such an opportunity... I need to dig out all the correct Honda part codes and equivalences - I made a note somewhere...

The cam-belt side mount is also different on the Concerto, which has a captive nut or bolt (I can't remember but will check) where the Rover one doesn't. I did wonder if these could be modified.

The front mounts are interchangeable and of course the front mount is still available from Rimmer Bros.

The RHS mount is interchangeable between the Concerto and Rover. The originals are NLA and Febest don't do them but some US and Australian manufacturers do.

I've been toying with the idea of just getting a CRX MK2 full set in to see how close they all are (not withstanding the incorrect handedness of the rear mount which is also true of the CRX), as these are a commoditised "cheap" thing on Ebay from lots of manufacturers in the US where the CRX with stock D16A6 (Z2) was such a huge success.

We may never need to solve this problem this way if we could get superflex or another polybush manufacturer to do a standard "comfort" black set of inserts. I don't think it's rocket science to make a pattern for these - it's not like anyone is fitting 170hp turboed D16s. The rubber mounts are marked with figures from 50-80 which I assume is the Shore hardness. This hardness can be replicated directly with standard moulding-grade mixes of polyurethane.

This was all going to be a magazine article at some point... but I've stuck to my first 3 build stages so far and I'm busy just at the moment.

I could bring this forward and get on it fairly quickly if you can wait a week or two, or just PM you the information...
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Return to “Ebay”