Door lock

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Edenrob
New Member - Welcome them!
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

Door lock

Postby Edenrob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Car is 1998 214i, manual windows, no central locking.

Problem is door lock wont turn and therefore I can't lock the drivers side door. I have removed the door card, the top of which seems to be disintergrating. I tried to manually wiggle the rods connecting the lock to the release in case it was just a simple seizure but no luck.

I'm guessing the lock is actually broken in the barrel? Or does anyone have any other ideas.

All suggestions would be appreciated so many thanks for your knowledge.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Re: Door lock

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Have you tried a little bit of WD40 sprayed in there? Also trying pushing the key in a little further with varying amounts of force, before trying to turn the key (gently). Also try just jiggling the key a little and see if you can get it to turn - but don't force it.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Coupe

Postby GTiJohn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Johnny 216GSi wrote:Have you tried a little bit of WD40 sprayed in there? Also trying pushing the key in a little further with varying amounts of force, before trying to turn the key (gently). Also try just jiggling the key a little and see if you can get it to turn - but don't force it.

That'll be to try to free up the lock tumblers (if that's what they're called) so they're all in the correct alignment.

If one sticks up when it should be down the barrel won't turn.

Is there anywhere on the outside of the barrel, ie inside the door that's worth a squirt too ?
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:38 pm

GTiJohn wrote:
Johnny 216GSi wrote:Have you tried a little bit of WD40 sprayed in there? Also trying pushing the key in a little further with varying amounts of force, before trying to turn the key (gently). Also try just jiggling the key a little and see if you can get it to turn - but don't force it.

That'll be to try to free up the lock tumblers (if that's what they're called) so they're all in the correct alignment.

If one sticks up when it should be down the barrel won't turn.

Is there anywhere on the outside of the barrel, ie inside the door that's worth a squirt too ?

It is. And I'm not sure where else you could get some oil in.

You can rebuild locks but it's horrendous. The centre of the lock can be removed if the spring clip is taken off the rear. The pins are little blades with tiny springs which just fall out all over the place, ruining the lock. They can be retained by leaving the key in the lock before taking the spring clip off and sliding out the innards. This should provide opportunity for some visual inspection, to see if all the pins are lining up and none are sticking out, preventing the lock turning. It could be a worn key, worn or sticky pins, debris in the lock itself, etc.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

crepello
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

Postby crepello » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:48 pm

My experience is based on experience with R8 locks. Because there are two ways to operate the door latch - namely the exterior key and the sill button, these are "or"-ed together with some free rotation built in to the levers on the end of the key barrel. This allows the sill button to operate the latch and harmlessly move the barrel lever without requiring the barrel itself to be rotated from its home (locked) position.

So if you can lock the door latch using the sill button, the latch is OK. You should be able to reach in and feel the barrel lever moving too. If this is all the case, then the culprit is the key barrel, in combination with the key of course. The barrel can be removed from inside the handle escutcheon moulding, by looping a string or wire through its retaining wire clip, and pulling that down and off. It can be replaced before the barrel assembly goes back in, as that will be able to spring its way in past the clip.

The barrel can actually be dismantled using small tools, but it's definitely a good idea to do this with the key in place, to stop things pinging into space! With the key plus barrel out of the cylinder, it will be obvious whether the key is holding the fingers correctly aligned into a smooth cylindrical outline.

Return to “Technical and Diagnosis”