strange noise on my Portuguese 3 door 1.6 honda engined GTI

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

duracelldave

strange noise on my Portuguese 3 door 1.6 honda engined GTI

#1 Post by duracelldave » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:59 pm

Hi guys, I am new here and was hoping for some ideas on this issue.
1991 3 door Honda 1.6 GTI series one. when the car is parked and locked, it makes a "whooooop"ing noise which lasts about 3 to 4 seconds and happens every 1 to 2 hours or so. it does not affect the car running and does not appear to be causing any other issues. Battery runs down over a week of not running but may not be related, its more about knowing what its doing.
Any ideas??
I had several 200"s while I lived in UK and love the 3 door look.
I had a K plate GTI with roversport package and 2 litre M series engine, fell in love with it but died as usual with blown head gasket and rot.
I followed this with a 3 door GSI on M plate and T engine 2 litre, cooked engine when driving home from buying it so used previous GTI and rebuilt suspension exhaust trim etc and rebuilt engine. loved it again.
I also had 1.4 SI 5 door, used it for a few months and again cooked head on way home from work. not worth repair so scrapped it.
Then had 5 door 2 litre GLI , car was immaculate, used for a month then lost my licence on health grounds so sold on.
I now live in Portugal and after a 10 year fight I have my licence back and stumbled across a white 3 door GTI. I never expected to find one here but Rovers were sold here. Honda engine, and aircon. Great car and great fun.

StubbornPatriot
Club Secretary

Re: strange noise on my Portuguese 3 door 1.6 honda engined GTI

#2 Post by StubbornPatriot » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Both my 216 GSis make the whooping noise you are talking about (almost like they're pining for attention). It only happens when they're stationary and although regular, it doesn't happen every day. I believe it is the fuel tank depressurising through a valve of some sort. It's more noticeable on a cool evening after a warm(ish) day. Both cars have always done it and I believe it is a very common occurrence. I think they're just talking to us. They don't like being ignored. Certainly nothing to worry about.
1989 216GSI + 1990 216GSI + 1997 416 Tourer + Triumph T160V

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#3 Post by montegoman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 pm

It sounds like the fuel tank releasing vacuum pressure. Have you tried taking the fuel filler cap off to release the pressure in the tank when you park up.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (15 yrs of ownership)

duracelldave

#4 Post by duracelldave » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 pm

hi and thanks guys, i thought i was going daft with this (my daughter would certainly say i already am daft)
is this noise unique to the honda 1.6, never had it with any other r8s i owned.
i cant say for sure when and what conditions it happens, its usually warm or bloody hot here, and has always done it. i never normally fill the tank so maybe if filled completely it may not do it. i have noticed however that if i run the car very low on fuel, it sometimes wont fire for a few minutes after releasing the pressure in the tank to fill it, i have to wait 2 or 3 minutes before it will start, not alway the case ad doesnt always do it in those circumstances, have you had this also, is there a trick to avoid this?
i am also looking for early GTI 3 door front seats in particular UK passenger side and door cards. rocking horse do do i know but any ideas would help

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#5 Post by montegoman » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:22 am

The noise is not common to the Honda engined cars. My mother's 214 used to do it but mine only does it very occasionally. I seem to recollect it happened more often in the summer.
Your starting issue is likely to be different entirely and is unique to the Honda engine. It will be the brown relay that is behind the centre console. You get dry joints and the electrical contact is lost. It usually occurs when the engine is warm after a short stop, ie after refuelling!
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (15 yrs of ownership)

alviseven
Club Member

#6 Post by alviseven » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:56 am

The honda engines talk to you after several weeks too - the noise does not seem to use battery power particularly. The battery issue we had was fitting a new radio which whilst looked identical was a vauxhall one and uses the other polarity to say memory so was never actually off properly and used to drain battery over two weeks of idleness - did not happen often but was eventually traced - rover spec radio replaced issue went away. Starting issues almost certainly the brown relay inside the passenger side of the centre console down the bottom corner - easy DIY fix if you can solder and get the console out yourself.
The honda pair always talk to me as if pining for attention particularly over the warmer months
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers