Rover 214 h reg gears seen tricky.

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

tamar17

Rover 214 h reg gears seen tricky.

#1 Post by tamar17 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi.took my 214 r8 model for a pre mot test drive after not being used for a while and found the gears are sometimes tricky.
Mainly 1st and reverse.
I seem to have to hold the gear stick to prevent it jumping out
Its not all the time.
Can this be ajusted.
The clutch seems good and does not slip at all although the clutch pedal feels high.
Be grateful for any help.thanks.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Re: Rover 214 h reg gears seen tricky.

#2 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:53 pm

The gearshift on these R65 gearboxes is a bit of a convoluted set of rods and pivots that can develop some slop.

Best to have a look at it while somebody selects gears - it's quite easy to see as it's on top of the gearbox but a good torch might be useful. If it looks or feels loose then resolving that issue is better done before looking at the clutch itself.

If the clutch bite point has changed it could indicate a non-adjusting cable or a clutch plate that's on the way out.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

crepello
Club Member

#3 Post by crepello » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:59 pm

Maybe the synchros are a bit dry and sticky? Each has a set of 3 spring-loaded balls which click into a groove to hold them definitely 'in' or 'out' of engagement. If those aren't free maybe they're not holding the rings in engagement. Check and top-up your gearbox oil if necessary. The filler/level check plug is adjacent to the driveshaft on the nearside.

tamar17

#4 Post by tamar17 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Ok great.thanks guys.