Exhausts

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

JEASPEKE
Club Member

Exhausts

#1 Post by JEASPEKE » Mon May 25, 2020 8:29 am

Wanted a new mid section for my 216 GTi

All manufacturers have nil stock and I talked to Klarius biggest manufacturer they say it’s obsolete and no plans to make any more. This one has got two silencers not one.

Can always go stainless steel custom route, anyone know what that costs?
But quite like to keep as standard a look as possible

Have decided to get some welds done on mine as it is reasonably solid and fixable

Any ideas on the forum for future ref needing new exhausts, or other sources out there? :S :S :S

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member

Re: Exhausts

#2 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 am

I recently had a quote for a cat back stainless steel exhaust for my Tourer and it was £269 which I thought was quite reasonable.

It’s a job I’m going to get done in the next year hopefully.
Club Social Media Sec. (Twitter/Instagram)
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
1996-N Charcoal 214 SEi (rolling project)
2010 Volvo V50 2.0 SE Lux (daily)
Former:
214 SEi x3, 216 SLi, 216 Cabriolet, 416 GSi, 25, 45, 75

JEASPEKE
Club Member

#3 Post by JEASPEKE » Mon May 25, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks, not too bad, I don’t have a cat. So might be less.

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#4 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 am

post deleted
Last edited by Mr Teddy Bear on Wed May 27, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddy Bear

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

Kriss707

#5 Post by Kriss707 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:26 pm

If your intending to keep the car for the rest of its life, stainless is the way to go. Guaranteed for as long as you own the car. Any problems they sort free so you will never need to pay for an exhaust again.

I put one on my daily runner Espace & have had no problems in 11 years. It cost £240 when fitted, but weighing up how many thin mild steel units I would have gone through, as they reckon exhausts have a life of about 3-5 years.

I'm going for stainless on my Cabbie when my present standard system goes.

itcaptainslow
Club Member

#6 Post by itcaptainslow » Mon May 25, 2020 1:33 pm

If the exhaust maker is skilled they'll be able to make it look and sound factory; I had one made for my daily drive (K12 Micra 160) after the original exhausts went NLA. It looks and sounds OEM+ at my request and fits perfectly. :cool
Rover 214SEI
Rover 75 Connoisseur (launch car)
Lotus Elise S

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm

itcaptainslow wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:33 pm
If the exhaust maker is skilled they'll be able to make it look and sound factory; I had one made for my daily drive (K12 Micra 160) after the original exhausts went NLA. It looks and sounds OEM+ at my request and fits perfectly. :cool
Can I ask who your exhaust manufacturer is then please? I'd also be looking to replicate the sound of an original steel exhaust if I chose a stainless system for my car, and in addition have the tailpipe resemble more closely the galvanised steel pipe look of a basic system rather than be a bright-polished finish with a rolled/formed lip or something fancier - I'd just want the car to look original.

Just as an aside, I've tried a chrome tailpipe cover thinking it would add something but I didn't like the look at all - the car needs the dull grey pipe look as it can't carry anything more. If it were a coupe or a 216/416GTi or a 2L/2L turbo car then of course, but not the "standard" models IMHO...
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

itcaptainslow
Club Member

#8 Post by itcaptainslow » Wed May 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Johnny 216GSi wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm
itcaptainslow wrote:
Can I ask who your exhaust manufacturer is then please? I'd also be looking to replicate the sound of an original steel exhaust if I chose a stainless system for my car, and in addition have the tailpipe resemble more closely the galvanised steel pipe look of a basic system rather than be a bright-polished finish with a rolled/formed lip or something fancier - I'd just want the car to look original.

Just as an aside, I've tried a chrome tailpipe cover thinking it would add something but I didn't like the look at all - the car needs the dull grey pipe look as it can't carry anything more. If it were a coupe or a 216/416GTi or a 2L/2L turbo car then of course, but not the "standard" models IMHO...
It was a Powerflow unit (I understand the quality of the exhaust depends on the skill of the fitter!). They’ve franchises around the country, I used EMP Performance in St Albans.
Rover 214SEI
Rover 75 Connoisseur (launch car)
Lotus Elise S

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#9 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed May 27, 2020 1:30 pm

itcaptainslow wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:12 pm
Johnny 216GSi wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm
itcaptainslow wrote:

It was a Powerflow unit (I understand the quality of the exhaust depends on the skill of the fitter!). They’ve franchises around the country, I used EMP Performance in St Albans.
I think I've got a Powerflow franchise close to me... In fact, the same company has a call-out tyre fitting service and one of the pair of fitters that came out to me when I needed them suggested I give them a call for a stainless upgrade, so I was drifting in the right direction anyway!

I do remember elsewhere that you end up having a chat with the franchise that's doing the work, and they offer you a choice of "sound" including "as quiet as possible" (which presumably is what the OE systems are designed to be...

Might have to take some 800-grit wet&dry to the shiny tailpipe section though... and/or look at a high temperature dull silver spray paint...
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image