Outer drivers door handle replacement

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

partviking

Outer drivers door handle replacement

#1 Post by partviking » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Mine broke the rear lug yesterday so unable to open the car from outside. Has anyone replaced one of these? Haynes say you need to remove the glass but it looks to me (having removed the door card) as though may be able to do it without. For information it's a 1994 214i manual window with central locking. My main reason for asking is I was going to source the part from a breakers so in effect have to do the job 'twice' so the knowing quickest route would be an advantage.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alan Francis (partviking)

carl747

Re: Outer drivers door handle replacement

#2 Post by carl747 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:17 pm

partviking wrote:Mine broke the rear lug yesterday so unable to open the car from outside. Has anyone replaced one of these? Haynes say you need to remove the glass but it looks to me (having removed the door card) as though may be able to do it without. For information it's a 1994 214i manual window with central locking. My main reason for asking is I was going to source the part from a breakers so in effect have to do the job 'twice' so the knowing quickest route would be an advantage.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alan Francis (partviking)
I will have a look for you but you don't need to remove the glass
92 Rover 216 GTi Twin cam
64 1/2 Ford Mustang 289 V8

Fatdave

#3 Post by Fatdave » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:39 pm

mine also broke recently. i had a go a taking it out, its i right pain in the rear end. after losing my temper and swearing quite a lot :cursing i took it to a guy round the corner from me who specializes in rovers and he had the handle out in no time. dont think he removed the window though. i got a handle from ebay then sprayed it only to find it was the wrong one. so be warned, when your looking for a handle make sure its from a wedge bubble handles look the same but are different at the back.
JS Performance group buy silicone breather pipes for T series turbo
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0997112995

SimonR

#4 Post by SimonR » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:38 am

Hey there,

I found this thread after a Google search because my 214's driver's door handle had also broken. I thought it only fair to share my experiences in case someone else finds themself in the same situation as me! Door handle replacement is relatively straight forward but there are a couple of bits of information that will make it easier for you. Mr. Haynes's manual doesn't give you the following information, it simply says something like 'remove the window, undo the bolts and (this is my favourite bit!) Remove the handle from the vehicle'. Yeah, right - thanks for that!

This information relates to the cars made between 1989 and 1995, also known as the R8 variants.

Types of Door handle.
My car is a 1994 Rover 214i 8V. I got a donor handle from a 1991 416 16V car and although on first glance it looked the same, there was a critical difference I'm assuming that this was due to a discrepancy in age, rather than being a difference bewteen the 200 and 400-series cars. My (later) car has a more complicated linkage, consisting of a sprung cantilever screwed to the back of the handle body, whereas the earlier 416 has a simple arrangement where lugs on the handle itself directly operate the rod down to the door catch. This meant that I had to dismantle the handle assembly and put the new, unbroken handle itself (from the 414) into my 214's handle surround. Not a big job, but fiddly. I also had to transfer a metal lug from the broken handle onto the new one, again not a big job but essential. Proceed with caution if your handles/linkages don't appear to be the same as those described below.

Dismantling the Door.
Getting the door card off is an easy job, but there are a couple of things that you need to know if you want to get the handle off without damaging your paintwork!
First, it's much easier to get to the back of the handle if you remove the window and doing so is a really simple job. Just wind it down to near the bottom, slacken off the two 8mm bolts that hold it to the runner (dont undo them all th way), hold the window with one hand and slide the runner very gently to the right with the other. The window can then be withdrawn, wide end first. Taking it out and replacing it takes about 5 minutes and is well worth it!
The lock barrel also needs to be removed - very gently lever the plastic clip open and slide the rod out of it to the right. If you look carefully (I needed a torch), you can see a wire U clip that slids in from below, simply slide it downwards and withdraw the lock towards you.
Finally, if you're dismantling a door with the earlier type of handle, you'll find that you can only get the handle out of the door if you undo the three Torx bolts that hold the catch to the door, that way you can lower the handle assembly out of the door.

Removing the Handle
Undo the two 8mm bolts that secure the handle to the door and then drop the handle downwards and out. If it's a later handle, unscrew the cantilever from the back of the handle assembly and recover the spring, if it's the earlier type that's got the rod directly connected to the handle itself, you will see that the connector screws onto the top of the rod and pushes into the handle by means of a barbed metal pin that goes through a plastic insert to hold it in place. You can try to unscrew the entire handle off the top of the rod but you'll probably find that it's impossible to do so without damaging something so the best way is to get two small screwdrivers and prise the plastic bush open enough to withdraw the metal rod. It's fiddly but not a massive problem.

Dismantling the Handle (if required)
From my experience this weekend, it appears that you can put a later handle on an earlier car without dismantling it, except that you do have to press out the metal lug so that you can insert the plastic bush / metal pin arrangement (but screw it onto the rod first ;-)).
If you're doing it the other way round (earlier handle onto later car with cantilever arrangement, as I was) then you'll have to dismantle the handle assembly by squeezing the ends of the pivot rods back into shape and pushing them out, so that you can put the working handle part into the car's original handle body. The reason for this is that the screw hole for the cantilever is in a slightly different place on earlier cars. You'll also need to transfer the metal lug over to the new handle.

Reassembling
Reassembly is pretty much the reverse procedure but if it's a later-style car then ensure that you've located the metal lug into the right part of the cantilever before you bolt the handle onto the door. It's pretty obvious when you look at it. Also don't forget to replace the spring on the cantilever, one end hooks over the cantilever itself, the other (straight) end sits against a small plastic pad in a groove on the handle body. Ensure that you've tightened the cantilever-retaining screw before bolting the handle onto the door as once it's in place, you can't get a screwdriver on the screw!

There are two rubber washers that sit between the handle assembly and door and it's easy for these to fall away without you noticing. They're reasonably important to get the handle to sit correctly in the door.

I think that's it - the whole operation took a couple of hours in total.

Capt C

#5 Post by Capt C » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:50 pm

@SimonR

Wow - I guess people ought to be thanking you for your excellent write-up, so I will :D
Capt C. 214SLi, 216GSi owner

carpy

#6 Post by carpy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Good write up but when I changed both on my cabby I didn't have to take the glass out, biggest pain was actually getting the old handles out and the new handles in. Took about an hour all told in the snow.
Have now got silver handles on purple doors :scared

digger

#7 Post by digger » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi guys, new to the forum and puzzled? Having read SimonR's excellent guidance on removing and refitting a door handle (in my case the passenger door) I'm still a little confused.
The reason is the spring he describes "don't forget to replace the spring on the cantilever, one end hooks over the cantilever itself, the other (straight) end sits against a small plastic pad in a groove on the handle body"
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the spring in place so I'm struggling to imagine where and how it is fitted. I can't see any evidence on the handle body where it might locate as described above so a little detailed guidance on this would be most appreciated, an MOT swings in the balance.
Thanks.

Rover12t

#8 Post by Rover12t » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 am

Hi

Thanks for the info my car is a 200 coupe 1998 and I have undone all the fixings but on the end of the key barrel there is a “boss” which holds the alarm sensor and I can’t see how to remove that and that it what’s stopping the handle clearing the bodywork