Electric wing mirror glass fixing - should it be easy to snap into place?

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

martin_bmth

Electric wing mirror glass fixing - should it be easy to snap into place?

#1 Post by martin_bmth » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi All,

My passenger side wing mirror glass is "floppy". It doesnt really move with the electric adjustment as id expect.

Ive pulled it out (it wasnt difficult) and I can see the springs but I cant get it to locate properly on the electric mount (gimble thing the motors inside moves about). It seems to have a lot of free play so Im thinking its had a bit of a crunch.

Before I invest in a new wing mirror am I being a bit dense. :laughing2 Or should the glass just snap into place easily once ive moved the little wire tag out of the way.

Im reluctant to take the drivers door wing mirror glass out to compare in case I cant get it back in place and that one works fine! :laughing2

alviseven
Club Member

Re: Electric wing mirror glass fixing - should it be easy to snap into place?

#2 Post by alviseven » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm

From memory its quite hard to remove and does just pop back but its been a while since some nice people relieved our car of its mirrors as they wanted them for their own!
I think if the mirror does not snap home then its because one of the clips is missing or bent and it cannot do it properly.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

E_T_V
Technical Advisor

#3 Post by E_T_V » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:55 pm

Its been a long time since I fitted one (thankfully), but isn't there a sort of tag on the side which you have to press to compress the springs to fit them in place?

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#4 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:24 pm

There are indeed two tags that sit proud of the glass. You have to compress these anyway, else the glass physically won't go in the mount. But once that's done, if the glass is located centrally then a firm press in the centre portion (not firm enough to break it) should snap the ring on the back of the glass into the gimbal arrangement in the housing. It should be a fairly positive action but you don't get a "click" as such. The mirror should then work as intended.

On issue with doing this is that if the mirror was left adjusted way-out of "glass-flat to housing" then finding what angle the glass needs to sit at to engage can be tricky. I suppose you could solve this by fitting the broken mirror to the car and moving it about with the paddle control until the gimbal ring looks pretty straight vertically and horizontally, then snap the glass back in in-situ.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

StubbornPatriot
Club Secretary

#5 Post by StubbornPatriot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:37 am

I have found that not only do you need to pull the retaining clip/spring away to remove the glass but also you need to pull it back tight the other way after refitting as it fits into a notch at the back. Easily done with a length of strong wire that you can wrap around a few fingers and put a small hook on at the other end to get purchase on the eye of the clip/spring - my 'special tool' is made of garden wire.

Cheers, Duncan
1989 216GSI + 1990 216GSI + 1997 416 Tourer + Triumph T160V

martin_bmth

#6 Post by martin_bmth » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks for the advice, Im still fiddling to find the spot where all this just snaps into place! :clapping

214cab

#7 Post by 214cab » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:17 pm

This was pre me and yes i assumes someone whacked the mirror, i replaced the glass that was cracked but couldn't ever get it to fit right!

I kept meaning to buy a full replacement mirror (beware you need a cabriolet mirror though, Coupe one won't fit!)

martin_bmth

#8 Post by martin_bmth » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:48 pm

*laughs*, yeh no worries. :laughing2 These things wil happen over 20 years or so :)
I was looking on rimmer brothers and any R8 other than coupe looks like it will fit.... Now all ive got to do is find an electric lhs one... unless i can swap the electric bits out of a rhs mirror perhaps? ;)