Door Handle Removal

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Julesmat50
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 418 Saloon

Door Handle Removal

Postby Julesmat50 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm planning to re-spray the plastic door handles on my car as they are less Flame Red and more "Peppa Pig Pink", due to sunlight fading the paint. It was part of the reason I wanted to buy the brand new handle that the seller won't sell me, but that's another story.
This seems an absolutely daft question to ask, but how on earth do you release the door lever rod from out of the handle? The Haynes manual simply says "disconnect the lever from the handle", but there is no indication of exactly HOW you disconnect it. It's not helped by the lack of access or vision inside the door, but it looks like it's just pushed into a plastic extension from the back of the handle itself. Do I need to disconnect the entire lock (although it doesn't say to do this) to remove it, or will it come out simply by separating the rod and undoing the 2 bolts holding the handle to the inside of the door as the manual seems to suggest? I can see that I will have to take the lock out for the front door/s, but is it necessary for the rears?
Last edited by Julesmat50 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Turbo Hatchback

Re: Door Handle Removal

Postby 220 GSi turbo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 pm

It's a couple of years or more since I last did anything with an R8 door handle, but I am quite sure it is the same arrangement on the R3, which I have worked on much more recently.

The hole on the handle has a plastic bush pressed into it and the link rod presses into the bush. The bush also has a hooked 'tail' on it, which clips to the link rod and stops the rod from working loose.
1995 220 GSi Turbo now celebrating 16 years of ownership
1994 216SLi
Daily: R25 TD

Previously: 216 Coupe L887PTR(1993-95) 214SLi N219EPO(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Re: Door Handle Removal

Postby Johnny 216GSi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am

Yes, that rod is held in with some kind of plastic bush from memory, and it does pop out. The rod is threaded into the part that pushes into the plastic bush, but this is for adjustment rather than for removal. The key lock barrel on the fronts is held in with a spring clip - these can be flicked off but be cautioned that they have rusted and become brittle with age - they're also NLA. I assume you can unhook the rod from the end of the key lock but it's been a while since I dismantled a door and to be honest I was only picking it for parts and didn't take the key lock itself...
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Return to “Bodywork & Detailing”