Paint Code for Front Roof Assembly Rover 216

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.
Spooner

Paint Code for Front Roof Assembly Rover 216

#1 Post by Spooner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help me find out the black paint code for the front roof assembly marked in the photo below?

Kriss707
Club Member

Re: Paint Code for Front Roof Assembly Rover 216

#2 Post by Kriss707 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:43 pm

I would say it's the same as the Cabriolet, Satin Black.

I use Upol aerosol satin black as its easier & gives good results.

You can get 2k black with a matting agent in it to give it the satin finish. It's trial & error to get the right satin-ness as when you add the hardener it alters the effect of the matting agent.

1234dist
Club Member

#3 Post by 1234dist » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 pm

it is by standard just a satin black, but its your choice if you are respraying anyway to go matt or shiny.

I went shiny as it matched the windscreen and roof.
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#4 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Could be the same black they use to paint the top door frames on the standard car? Just a thought.

These look satin on a lot of cars but they just go that way with age. They're actually quite a shiny gloss black on a new car and people often polish the paint back to a gloss look as part of a general exterior refurb.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#5 Post by GTiJohn » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 am

Mine has gone very matt and scratched over the last year and I'm going for gloss.

I had toyed with the idea of doing the rear section of the roof at the same time but on a Tahiti car it wouldn't really show up. Has anybody done it on a lighter colour - white or silver? I think it would look good on Polynesian and Flame too. Or perhaps that's just far to modern... :blushing
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#6 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm

GTiJohn wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 am
Mine has gone very matt and scratched over the last year and I'm going for gloss.

I had toyed with the idea of doing the rear section of the roof at the same time but on a Tahiti car it wouldn't really show up. Has anybody done it on a lighter colour - white or silver? I think it would look good on Polynesian and Flame too. Or perhaps that's just far to modern... :blushing
John - try "Simoniz Tough Black" acrylic spray - and make sure you go for gloss not satin, as they do both. It has some kind of liquid-plastic element to it (aside from the acrylic!! - although it could just be heavy on acrylic as a component I suppose), which means you can get a very good finish that belies the fact it came out of a rattle can - and no orange peel either. It seems to adhere better (not withstanding the fact you still have to key the existing paint) and is genuinely tougher when scratched, etc.

I know I've only used it on brackets and anything else that was originally supposed to be black in the engine bay, but I'd give it 10/10 as a paint in general. They suggest you use it for things like tubular frames on cabriolet hoods and on open-top cars, but a lot of people think it's tough enough to use on suspension parts! Just wish they did it in flame and tempest :laughing2

It is VERY shiny in gloss. The satin also has a good sheen to it if you spray close enough and get the paint to land wet. Still compatible with all acrylic top lacquer coats if you want to key it and do one, but I've never bothered so far...

You could try a chrome paint for the rear roof section, but you'd be into chroming other parts of the car to create the right look (like the bumper and door rubbing strips) before you knew where you were!

Image Image

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#7 Post by GTiJohn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Johnny 216GSi wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm
GTiJohn wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 am

John - try "Simoniz Tough Black" acrylic spray - and make sure you go for gloss not satin, as they do both. It has some kind of liquid-plastic element to it (aside from the acrylic!! - although it could just be heavy on acrylic as a component I suppose), which means you can get a very good finish that belies the fact it came out of a rattle can - and no orange peel either. It seems to adhere better (not withstanding the fact you still have to key the existing paint) and is genuinely tougher when scratched, etc.

I know I've only used it on brackets and anything else that was originally supposed to be black in the engine bay, but I'd give it 10/10 as a paint in general. They suggest you use it for things like tubular frames on cabriolet hoods and on open-top cars, but a lot of people think it's tough enough to use on suspension parts! Just wish they did it in flame and tempest :laughing2

It is VERY shiny in gloss. The satin also has a good sheen to it if you spray close enough and get the paint to land wet. Still compatible with all acrylic top lacquer coats if you want to key it and do one, but I've never bothered so far...

You could try a chrome paint for the rear roof section, but you'd be into chroming other parts of the car to create the right look (like the bumper and door rubbing strips) before you knew where you were!
Thanks for the advise on paint - I'll look it up.

I was thinking of painting the rear section of the roof gloss black, not white or silver ... or chrome :scared

I was wondering if anybody had done that on a light body-coloured Tomcat already, as I've seen some modern cars with it and quite liked it.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#8 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 pm

GTiJohn wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm
I was thinking of painting the rear section of the roof gloss black, not white or silver ... or chrome :scared

I was wondering if anybody had done that on a light body-coloured Tomcat already, as I've seen some modern cars with it and quite liked it.
Got you now :slapme

I'm sure I've seen a coupe with the A and C pillars painted black too (the side "arc"), as well as the roof. I'm sure this is that same colour scheme Citroen used on some of its smaller cars (C3 ??). Looked okay IIRC...

Image Image