My other car's a... wait, what IS that?

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Vulgalour
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

My other car's a... wait, what IS that?

Postby Vulgalour » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Princess is off for her first MoT in three years or so tomorrow afternoon. Got some pics with Zoidberg today, since it was a nice day and I could. Considering how small the Princess can seem in modern traffic, it looks huge next to the Rover.

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Re: My other car's a... wait, what IS that?

Postby 1234dist » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Princess Cheese :clapping
Coupe Project K785OAT (wiring issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
tatti :rip

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Single advisory for an exhaust blow. I can very much live with that. I just need to take off the clamp, clean it up and reseal it to fix that.

I'm a very happy chappy to have this one back in action again.

ROVER-25X
Golden Oldie
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Cabriolet

Postby ROVER-25X » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am

I like the Princess but WTF has been done to that *laughs* ??

Did some 80's Chav get there hands on it ? :laughing2
ROVER-25X (2001 1.4 ROVER 25)
ROVER Cabriolet (1997 1.6 K-Series)
ROVER 25XD (2004 2.0TD ROVER 25)
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Umm... basically yes. :*laughs* If that's what it looks like then I'm on the right path with it. Supposed to look like it was played about with in the late 80s and then hasn't really changed much since then. Obviously there's nowhere near enough structural newspaper and filler for it to be genuine but for the most part I've stuck to only those items that would have been available when the car was a few years old. I love this sort of thing.

The Rover, on the other hand, is more of a 90s survivor, hence the three spoke alloys and some more subtle tweaks here and there.

1234dist
Club Member

Postby 1234dist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm

It's smoked Edam :)
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Shame they made the dash out of brie.

Spent some time putting it back together from the original bits, got the oil light and fuel gauge working again but there's damage to the PCB and none of my spares are any better so I've got no dial illumination for the speedo (important at night) or clock (not important at all) and today the indicator telltale gave up too. They're all on the same bit of the PCB and there's at least one crack on one of the tracks. Mike's offered to make a custom wiring loom to replace the PCB, it's such a fragile exposed component it makes no sense to repair it because it'll only happen again.

Other than that, I've been enjoying using the daft old thing. The gear selection, even after adjusting it to the best it can be, makes the R65 in the Rover feel sporting and direct.

ROVER-25X
Golden Oldie
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Cabriolet

Postby ROVER-25X » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Would love to get my hands on the dails and switches, bring them back to life with modern LED's but
with all the OEM colours to look stock. :D
ROVER-25X (2001 1.4 ROVER 25)
ROVER Cabriolet (1997 1.6 K-Series)
ROVER 25XD (2004 2.0TD ROVER 25)
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Keeping the OEM colours is easy. The switches are all lit by fibreoptics from a single bulb and the illumination is all normal bulbs with green filters. I was given a couple of LED bulbs but they won't go in the dash without trimming off the collar around the bottom of the bulb. I'm not a fan of LED bulbs, it has to be said, and the only one on the car is the number plate light.

No Pride of Longbridge for me this year thanks to a 4am finish on Friday, which is late even for me, so I spent a bit of time on the Princess. Mike got the timing sorted out so it actually runs properly now and I did lots of cleaning and degreasing in the engine bay so that's starting to look respectable now for the first time in years.

I had time to give it a proper wash, even though I only washed it a couple of days ago for the MoT, and it really did need it. Treated it to some Turtle Wax too, since the trees I'm parked under are being particularly sap-ridden at the moment. I'm really happy I stuck with this car, feels like having an old friend about the place.

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Today was the first day I took the Rover out for errands instead of the Princess. This wasn't because I didn't think the Princess was capable, far from it, I just fancied a change and what a change that is! Only 14 years separates these two cars and yet it feels like a much greater distance. The Rover is quicker off the mark and has less wind noise and is a lot easier to get going quickly since there's no need to fanny about with the manual choke. The brakes are better (mainly because everything is new, no doubt) and the handling far more precise but the car runs out of puff much quicker and you have to work through the gears a lot more, it's also not as smooth a ride. The Princess has virtually none of the interior trim rattle the Rover is plagued with and even with the still-blowing exhaust it feels a more comfortable and relaxing place to sit. The controls feel quite archaic in contrast, especially the massive 16" steering wheel and while the steering is a little more vague you can sail around with confidence. Where the Rover will scoot off the mark rapidly, the Princess needs winding up a bit and where the Rover gets buzzier and reaches a sort of power plateau, the Princess just keeps chugging along and doesn't feel to have that same cut-off of power. Gear selection in the Princess isn't as pleasant as that in the Rover but you have to do it less frequently and with the exception of 30 zones where the car wants to be in gear 3.5, the gearing is perfectly fine. Certainly, the Princess never feels in want of a fifth gear while on the motorway the Rover definitely feels like it would benefit from a 6th gear or overdrive.

One very noticable thing piloting both cars is that the Rover is looked over, it blends in even at the ripe old quarter of a century it nearly is. The Princess attracts a lot of attention, traffic is more patient with you and generally you have more room and time to drive which is incredibly welcome since it can be hard work at times to keep up in modern traffic because of just how old fashioned the controls are.

The main difference for me is that the Rover gets boring quite quickly. There's something I can't put my finger on with the Princess that makes it a pleasure to drive, even though it's technically the worst of the two by quite some margin. The Rover feels focused on the driver while the Princess seems focused on the passengers and their comfort, perhaps it's a reflection on the eras the two cars were built, I'm not sure whether or not they could be considered in the same sector since the Princess is really a size up from the Rover. Ideally, I suspect a Rover 600 or possibly even an 800 would be a fairer comparison to the Princess and perhaps a 1500 Allegro would be a fairer comparison to the Rover.

That's just some thoughts on the two at any rate, suffice to say I'm very happy with them both and I'm glad I stuck with them. Probably the only time you'll read a head-to-head report on a Princess and a 414.

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Postby Paul_1978_yorks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Interesting write up and comparison between cars.

I've driven plenty of R8s and once had a series 3 Allegro, but have not had the pleasure of driving a Princess yet.

Also, what did you degrease the engine bay with? I've just been using WD40 and an old toothbrush with mine, and then rinsing with clean water, but there's sure to be better tools than a toothbrush?
Current:
1990 White 416 GSi (G-reg)
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport (55 reg)
Former:
1995 Silver 214 SEi (N-reg), 1995 Nightfire Red 214 SEi (N-reg), 1994 BRG 214 SEi (M-reg), 1993 Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet (K-reg), 1995 Silver 216 SLi (M-reg)

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 pm

One of these, sometimes a rectangular one gets in better.

Some of this

Decant the Jizer into an ice cream tub or similar, dunk the brush in to load it and then apply to affected areas. Let it sit for a bit, you often see all the grime running off fairly quickly, particularly on painted surfaces. Rinse and repeat as required. It'll even shift some soot stains with repeated applications. As long as you rinse it off you shouldn't have problems with damage to paint, rubber or plastic. Easily the best way of degreasing I've yet found as it's not terribly expensive and isn't monstrously messy. I'd recommend wearing gloves too because the grime you're cleaning off can be a nuisance to get off skin and out from under fingernails.

I've tried the WD40 method and found things didn't stay clean, the WD40 seemed to attract dirt to anything metal, but kept plastics fairly clean. Waxing the engine bay after degreasing it and applying Autoglym Vinyl Care to plastics and rubber parts has so far proved the best way to keep the dirt off for a decent amount of time and make things easier to clean when they do get mucky again.

I've not yet had the pleasure of piloting an Allegro, I'd still like to. The Princess is a lot like a supersized Allegro, quite a lot of the structure and panel pressings are the same even though they look quite different from the outside. I imagine the Allegro is a bit easier to hustle along, the Princess is much more capable than I am confident when pressing on, they handle surprisingly well for such a squidgy old boat.

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 am

To illustrate the Jizer and pan brush method, here's a before and after. It took longer to wax it than it did to clean it and I doubt it took more than an hour all in.

It's pretty good on heavier deposits too, the bottom half of the engine and the gearbox were a terrible mess. A similar short amount of time got things going pretty well. Worth mentioning as well that the Jizer works much better if the engine is warm but not hot than if it's cold.

1234dist
Club Member

Postby 1234dist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 am

so you jiz all over the engine and then wipe it and everything is clean... :scared

Thats mr Swan out of a job. :laughing2
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:15 am

What can I say? I *really* like my cars and cleaning them. :tt2

Return to “Rover 200 and 400 Chat”