Member needs help with R8 216 after rodents attack loom

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.
GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Member needs help with R8 216 after rodents attack loom

#1 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am

We have a club member whose garaged '91 R8 216SLi Auto has had a rodent infestation and they've had a go at the wiring loom behind the dashboard.

The member has asked for help with finding either a loon or part of a loom that could be used to repair or replace the damaged one.

Being an auto I can imagine that the loom is not exactly the same as a manual but much will be common.

Has anybody got a dash loom available from a stripped car, for example?

The member lives near NORTH BERWICK, EAST LOTHIAN and is getting on a bit so will need help with repairs. Does anybody know of a good auto-electrician near Berwick or are local enough to be able to offer any assistance? He is offering suitable recompense for any help given with may include Scotland's favourite beverage (not Irn Bru !)

This is his description -no pics available unfortunately
i am trying to replace a section of wire loom as rodents chewed so much of it its hard to advise scrap men or members which one it is .

It is on right side facing car ,and plugs in at radio goes under co , with less wires in it , about 10 , in bulkhead behind glove box , going left facing car, initially running through 1 inch diameter hole adjacent to other larger hole mentioned earlier , and goes left 1/2 way along this section of loom. But as rodents demolished the whole middle section I do not know where this went, i know this is difficult to visualize but this loom section with thin section going left , is the only one on the RIGHT of engine bay.

If a member has a complete loom and i would be happy to buy this but if there are other separate sections HOPEFULLY PLUG IN ONES
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Cromp85

Re: Member needs help with R8 216 after rodents attack loom

#2 Post by Cromp85 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Its a shame he is so far up north, as I have done a bit of Car rewiring. There might be a good chance the loom could be repaired. Im in the wrong Dudley so its a good 4 hour drive from me. I will have a look at the circuit diagrams and see if i can offer any advice.
My Rovers to date:
1994 Rover 220GSI in Tahiti blue (On the road)
2002 MG ZR 105 in Solar red (On loan)
1995 214i (On SORN)

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#3 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Either Paul F's breaker (if somebody can take the whole loom out), or, did anybody take the loom from the GTi in the scrapyard that Mike T organised a strip-it day for?

With a complete loom available, at least the person doing the job can cut out what is needed if it is not possible to change the whole thing over.

And hats off to the owner for persevering with this and trying to get it repaired; I hope somebody will be able to help him out.

I am not a great fan of mice at the moment, I have today found evidence of them visiting my garage :cursing thankfully no cars have been attacked.
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 17 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25 GTi

Daily: 25 TD

Previously: 216 Coupe L887PTR(1993-95) 214SLi N219EPO(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Cromp85

#4 Post by Cromp85 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:26 pm

I think the section he described is listed as 'Main Harness - Passenger Compartment'. After reading through the Harness runs I have found:

There are only two designs for the 'Main Harness' part, 1.6 engine and all other engines.

Differences include between the two:

Facia harness unique to the 1.6
(So a fair chance the facia plug Has a different pinout)
Fuel ECU in NS footwell, Three Fuel ECU plugs, Two plugs for ABS, Inhibitor switch - Automatic selector, Crank inhibitor relay and Crank disable relay.

All the above means a lot of extra wires compared to a loom from a K16 or any other engine.
On the plus side it appears a harness from any Honda engined R8 will match (Including the coupe and cabriolet)
My Rovers to date:
1995 214i (On SORN)

crepello
Club Member

#5 Post by crepello » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:11 am

Presumably the fascia harness will have derivatives depending on optional switchgear and instrument illumination dimmer?

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#6 Post by montegoman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 am

No I wouldn't have thought so. It is more likely that the wiring harness is the same but just not used where certain options aren't fitted.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (13 yrs of ownership)

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#7 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:35 am

montegoman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 am
No I wouldn't have thought so. It is more likely that the wiring harness is the same but just not used where certain options aren't fitted.
K- and D-series engines are just too different to use a common loom but this is looking hopeful that one out of a manual will be useable and there is an offer of one already out of a car so we might be getting there!
Its a shame he is so far up north, as I have done a bit of Car rewiring. There might be a good chance the loom could be repaired. Im in the wrong Dudley so its a good 4 hour drive from me.
The member is offering to recompense anybody willing to help him out :wink3

crepello
Club Member

#8 Post by crepello » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:58 am

Suppose I should have checked the old EPC I have (for pre-Oct 1992) a bit earlier.

There are
8 different fascia loom part numbers for 1.4 cars,
12 for 1.6 RHD cars,
3 for 1.8 RHD cars,
2 for 2.0 RHD cars
varying by options Man/Auto gearbox, man/elec mirrors, man/auto choke, panel illumination.

LHD cars have the additional option of headlamp levelling.
See Rimmer's: Fascia Harness:

Actually, the OP's mention of holes in bulkheads might mean he's referring to the Main Harness. That's even more of a can of worms!
See Rimmer's: Main Harness

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#9 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Very useful pics - thank you.

It does appear that he's talking about the main harness to me too

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#10 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Has the chap had any luck with a harness yet?

I’m breaking a 216 manual. I’ve had a look at the wiring today and it looks like a tricky job to get it all out. I’ll give it a go if desperate measures are needed.
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#11 Post by GTiJohn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 am

Paul_1978_yorks wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm
Has the chap had any luck with a harness yet?

I’m breaking a 216 manual. I’ve had a look at the wiring today and it looks like a tricky job to get it all out. I’ll give it a go if desperate measures are needed.
I can imagine!

We're trying to narrow it down to a section but the idea of splicing into a main loom is scary. To me anyway...

Cromp85

#12 Post by Cromp85 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:51 pm

GTiJohn wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:35 am
Its a shame he is so far up north, as I have done a bit of Car rewiring. There might be a good chance the loom could be repaired. Im in the wrong Dudley so its a good 4 hour drive from me.
The member is offering to recompense anybody willing to help him out :wink3
How soon does he need it repaired? Ive got a lot on for the next month, after that im good to go.
My car aint the best on fuel so the journey might be a good tank and a half in total.
My Rovers to date:
1995 214i (On SORN)

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#13 Post by GTiJohn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Sent as a PM from davudhhh, the member with this rodent problem
HI,

I WISH TO THANK ALL THE KIND ROVER MEMBERS WHO HAVE POSTED ADVICE ABOUT MY RODENT DAMAGE TO 216SLI H REG AUTOMATIC. I AM AFRAID I HAVE NOT GIVEN "JOHN" A VERY GOOD DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM I AM A ONE FINGER PC DINOSAUR ON PC.

I COULD ONLY GO AND LOOK AT CAR BRIEFLY YESTERDAY OWING TO WEATHER. I COMPARED RIMMER DIAGRAMS AND THE ONE THAT LOOKS VERY SIMILAR IS VERY MUCH TO THE RIGHT OF DIAGRAM ONLY ROUTE THROUGH FOR WHAT I SUSPECT IS THE MAIN LOOM , LOOKS DIFFERENT IF THERE IS ANY GOOD NEWS ? THERE APPEARS TO BE NO DAMAGE AT ALL TO LOOM ON LEFT UNDER BONNET RUNNING ACROSS HONDA ENGINE (ENGINE MANAGEMENT STUFF ??) NOR IS THERE ANY DAMAGE BEHIND FACIA INSIDE CAR WHICH I MUST HAVE EXPLAINED BADLY TO JOHN I HAVE REMOVED RADIO TO GET A BETTER LOOK AT THINGS BUT DID NOT HAVE SMALL ENOUGH SOCKET TO GET A CO DRIVERS FOOTPLATE OFF, THERE ARE 3 /4 PUG INS FROM RADIO ONTO LOOM THAT APPEAR TO GO UNDER THE AFOREMENTIONED CO DRIVERS FOOT PLATE UP AND THROUGH BULKHEAD ( TWO APERTURES ONE 1 INC DIAMETER THE OTHER APX 2 INCH + .

THERE IS STILL THE REMNANTS OF A PLASTIC PART 3 INCH LONG BY 2 INCH HOLE OFSET AT ONE END , (THIS IS THE ONLY BIT DAMAGED ACTUALLY IN SIDE CAR AND WHAT LOOKS LIKE AN AIR ROUTE TO INSIDE OF CAR , CANNOT SEE THIS OR THE ROUTE THROUGH ON RIMMER DIAGRAM CAN SEE DOTTED LINES FOR ROUTE BUT LOOKS DIFFERENT? APERTURES MENTIONED EARLIER VERY CLOSE TO EACH OTHER AND ARE JUST INSIDE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND JUST BELOW BACK OF GLOVEBOX POSITION AREA BUT THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE TO WHERE HOLES ARE ON BULKHEAD ! THE DEVIL RODENTS DID THERE MAIN DESTRUCTION HERE ! BITING RIGHT THROUGH LOOM VERY CLOSE TO HOLE MAKING THINGS HARD TO SEE LOOM ROUTE DOWN TO RADIO AND IMPORTANT LOOKING BLACK BOX ABOUT 3 INCHES BY 2 (THERE IS NO DAMAGE AT THIS POINT BUT AS AFOREMENTIONED WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE MAIN LOOM THROUGH LARGER HOLE IN BULKHEAD ENGINE SIDE AT OTHER END CHEWED THROUGH VERY CLEANLY THE LOOM THATS LEFT INSIDE ENGINE COMPARTMENT APPEARS TO LOOE VERY SIMILAR TO RIMMER DIAGRAM AND ITS ROUTE DOWN TO PLUG INS AT HEADLIGHTS THERE IS ALSO A FEED OFF THE MAIN LOOM , BUT I CANNOT SEE WHERE THIS WAS AS NOT MUCH OF THIS FEED LEFT TO GO ON , EXCEPT SMALL HOLE IN INSIDE OF WING WITH ONE YELLOW WIRE SHOWING WILL INVESTIGATE FURTHER ON THIS WHEN I FEEL A BIT BETTER GOT BUG ON MY CHEST NOW ! IT NEVER RAINS BUT IT POURS OR SNOWS!! RIGHT NOW !!

I AM SORRY THIS INFORMATION IS SO PROTRACTED I HAVE A FEELING THAT THE RIGHT MAN WOULD BE ABLE TO RUN SOME WIRING BACK IN TO SECTION OR JOIN EXISTING WIRING SO HERES HOPING FOR A SCOTTISH SAVIOUR THANK YOU ALL FOR PUTTING UP WITH MY 81 YR OLD EFFORTS WILL TRY TO TAKE SOME PHOTOS

P. S MAIN LOOM APPEARS TO HAVE 17 WIRES 2 BLACK INCLUDED LOOK SLIGHTLY HEAVIER OTHE BIT HAS 9 WIRES INCL 1 BLACK ITS THE BEST I CAN DO AS A DUMPLING ON ELECTRICS BUT WILL PERSEVERE CHEERS DAVID AND THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONES POSTS
Just going to have a look at my car to try to reconcile it with the description. All help gratefully received!

Cromp85

#14 Post by Cromp85 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 pm

From the owners last description am i right in thinking the damage is all within the engine bay?
My Rovers to date:
1995 214i (On SORN)

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#15 Post by GTiJohn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Cromp85 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 pm
From the owners last description am i right in thinking the damage is all within the engine bay?
Definately maybe....

Just looked at the Rimmer pics and realised that they're K-series diagrams. The position of the ABS modulator should have been the give-away :slapme

These are the Honda D-deries ones from the Rover Electrical Fault Finding Manual:-