216GTi Handling / Ride / Roadholding.

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Ecobwg

216GTi Handling / Ride / Roadholding.

#1 Post by Ecobwg » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:34 pm

I've got to say that I've been driving my Rover 216 GTi for the best part of two months now and it is growing on me. I've done nothing to it apart from swap to my 15" 7-spoke alloys with 195/55 Firehawks on.

Theres no power steering, but I've not got it on any other of my cars and don't miss it on this. What has really impressed me is the chassis. Alot of the magazine reviews from the time slated it for sloppy steering, torque steer and understeer. I've not found any of this, the steering has good feel through it, no sign of torque steer and certainly doesn't suffer from understeer.

I know the D16 is a lightweight engine like the K-series and I suspect that the magazine reviews were on the 220 turbo coupe which is a bit heavier aswell as having torque. Also I know the GTi has arb front and rear, uprated dampers and rear discs, but I'm still impressed by the road manners of what is a 15 year old car.

Just as an example, theres a little right left down a lane from us called Devil's elbow. You come down a hill into it so you can see the road right out the other side to make sure nobody is coming. Its not a smooth bit of tarmac and the camber reverses on the way through with a very off-camber exit. I've never been through it over about 65mph, even in the Metro.
I came through it in the 216, thinking on the exit "thats faster than usual." Speedo read over 85mph!!! Take a bit off for inaccurancy and thats still impressive. It just feels secure and confidence inspiring.
I'd be tempted to sell the Metro off in favour of it, but for the fact the Metros performance completely obliterates it between the corners.

Just thought I'd share how impressed I am with it.
1990 BRG Rover 213SX soon to have Honda ZC1 power, high compression and bike carbs.
2000 Mica Blue Subaru Impreza turbo awd.

yanto

#2 Post by yanto » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:53 am

yep mine to never thought i would own a rover but glad i have it now
going to have to use my 7 seater over xmas but will be back to the rover after that :clapping

whiskeyonesix

#3 Post by whiskeyonesix » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:04 am

I agree! The R8 does handle very well, even the base models - could this be due to its honda-engineering, or the fact that Rover simply played an absolute blinder and produced a brilliant car?

Austin-Rover didnt always get it right with alot of their cars but apart from the K-series HG woes, there really isnt alot to fault about the R8.
'92 Range-Rover V8 (SOLD! Awaiting collection .)
'94 Disco 300Tdi (steam-powered, judging by the performance!)

E_T_V
Technical Advisor

#4 Post by E_T_V » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:46 pm

Rover designed the suspension on the R8 I believe. Honda at the time couldn't design suspension for europe for toffee, it was part of the knowledge exchange. Honda built a car that didn't rot and rover made it handle nicely

Ecobwg

#5 Post by Ecobwg » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:52 pm

Although, now putting some mileage in over hard country lanes with more confidence, I think the dampers may be more worn than I thought plus probably some movement in the suspension bushes.

Can the standard (uprated) dampers for the 216GTi still be sourced or will it just be non-uprated available? I wouldn't want to lower the car given the country lanes round here. Would standard 220GTi dampers work and be better than non-uprated ones if the correct ones aren't available.

And whats the availability of a full set of suspension bushes (normal ones will suffice)

Cheers.
1990 BRG Rover 213SX soon to have Honda ZC1 power, high compression and bike carbs.

E_T_V
Technical Advisor

#6 Post by E_T_V » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:15 pm

https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/k ... ordID=2159

https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/k ... ordID=2159

They are probably available elsewhere too but it shows that they are still available.

The club has an offer on polyflex suspension bushes coming up in a few days if you are interested.

Ecobwg

#7 Post by Ecobwg » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:35 pm

This car keeps pulling things out of the hat.

Just came round a corner at 50mph going into the next village and straight into a two and a half foot deep puddle! :o Thats up to the top of a full height front wheel arch. If it wasn't for the bow wave which I kept going then I doubt I'd have got out.

But, engine bay completely flooded (there was still a little puddle on top of the oil filler cap when I stopped in Tescos) and the engine didn't even stutter. All I got was a little bit of clutch judder taking up drive for a couple of miles afterwards.

:) :D