R8 hatch ride quality . Steel Vs alloy .

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Craig MGR
Club Member

R8 hatch ride quality . Steel Vs alloy .

#1 Post by Craig MGR » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:56 pm

How is the ride affected by the fitment of standard Rover alloy wheels such as Regals ?

Do you find the R8 a comfortable riding car ?

crepello
Club Member

Re: R8 hatch ride quality . Steel Vs alloy .

#2 Post by crepello » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:42 pm

My R8 was way more comfy than the Honda Accord it replaced in 1991.
It is way more comfy, and quieter, than the new Honda Civic I bought to replace it in 2010. So I kept the R8 too!

richard moss
Club Member

#3 Post by richard moss » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:50 pm

I don't have any experience of this sort of swap on an R8 but I reckon that, like for like, steels give a better ride than alloys

We used to have a 414 on standard Rover alloys and the ride was quite harsh until we went up a size on the sidewall profile on the tyre (55 to 65)
Out in the desert with 2 old Jeeps and a Saab 9-3 cabrio
Back home: wife's 1993 216 DOHC Cabriolet, daughter's R100 and my 1969 MGC GT

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#4 Post by GTiJohn » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:54 am

The material a wheel is made of will have an order-of-magnitude smaller effect than several other factors.

The largest benefit you can get is by increasing the sidewalk height of your tyre but as you need to keep the outside radius of you tyre about the same (so they don't hit the bodywork and your speedo is still legal) you need to fit smaller wheels to achieve this.

Changing the width of a wheelrim can have an effect too as it mandates the tyre sidewall more or less vertical, as can choosing a different brand of tyre.

Alloy wheels are usually slightly heavier than the same-size steels which make the unsprung mass of the wheel&tyre assembly bigger which means the dampers have more work to do to keep wheel movements under control. You'll feel this more as your dampers age.

Narrower section tyres will weigh less than wide ones obviously and so reduce your inspiring mass.

In summary, if you just swap size-for-size alloys for steels don't expect to feel much of a change.

For the best ride comfort fit the smallest wheel size possible and the highest profile narrowest tyre. If you're on 185/55R15s then you could go back to 165/65R14s, alloys or steels, but if you have solid front brakes 13" wheels will fit. ..
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

richard moss
Club Member

#5 Post by richard moss » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:20 am

On the subject of the effect of sidewall height on the Speedo, our 414 R8 had the typical "over reading speedo". You may well find that a higher sidewall will put the Speedo closer to reading accurately.

I think ours was almost spot on after going up to a bigger size. I would recommend checking the current accuracy of the speedo against GPS and then use one of the avail able in line tyre size calculators to check the effect of going up to a bigger size.

One bonus - it helped to partially correct the ridiculously short gearing that afflicts Rovers in general
Out in the desert with 2 old Jeeps and a Saab 9-3 cabrio
Back home: wife's 1993 216 DOHC Cabriolet, daughter's R100 and my 1969 MGC GT

Craig MGR
Club Member

#6 Post by Craig MGR » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:21 pm

Brilliant , insightful replies thank you. I remember my dad's early HHR 414 si on 14inch steels. It glided over terrible surfaces without any fuss from the suspension , everything felt like it was working in perfect harmony. His later 416 auto SLi did not ride as well. It was on a T plate , I did read somewhere that very late HHRs had the same setup as the 45 ... I could be wrong though.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#7 Post by GTiJohn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 am

Both HH-R and R3 when launched had an unconventional damping set-up where rebound and compression damping were the same. It was referred to internally as "1-to-1 damping".

It gave a very comfortable ride but also allowed more body-roll. It wasn't 'sporty'.

The 45 and 25 adopted more conventional camping strategies.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams