Je suis Crapaud.

Off-topic and topics which do not fit in elsewhere.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Vulgalour
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

Je suis Crapaud.

Postby Vulgalour » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:52 am

I saved this little green Renault back in 2014.

The kindness of a more local enthusiast saw it collected from the field it had been living in for a year or two, before which it had been in a barn since the early 90s. I didn't even know what a Renault 6 was, but at £80 and the threat of the crusher looming I took a chance on it. Another enthusiast collected it with his Xantia estate for me.

I then collected it in my Xantia estate. What are the chances of that?

Over the next couple of years I worked on getting the car sorted out. It might be fundamentally a Renault 4 underneath the bodywork but my goodness has it proven to be a challenge to figure out which were the correct parts. I could never have done it without various fora and the internet at large, with parts coming in from all over Europe and even a few in the UK. You try finding right hand drive headlights for a car of which there's maybe a dozen left in the UK! Managed it though, and this year I finally got it enough together and with many, many new parts so that I could hopefully get it running and MoT'd.

Sadly, after quite a battle with it, the little green car just doesn't want to know. I've reached the end of the road with this one and it's time for someone else to have a tinker. It's my very first full engine rebuild and while it's a simple engine with its ancestry being the Renault 4CV, it's incredibly difficult to work on in situ. After a long time of chasing problems and suggestions ranging from sticking valves, to bad ignition timing, to incorrectly aligned camshafts and more, I've decided to call it quits at a point I'm comfortable walking away from it.

This little car has fought me most of the way and while I find its quirky Frenchness endearing, I'm hoping he'll find a new owner able to get over these last few hurdles. I think I'll be sad to see this one go, as well as relieved. I've given it the best chance and if the right owner comes along it will undoubtedly see the road again.

I'm the third owner, the car has done 132,000 miles, I've had it three years and I've never been able to drive it. The closest I got was being towed around the yard when I learned the driving position was rather more offset than I'm comfortable with. It's been a fun project. Maybe next year I'll get something even weirder.

The rabbit fabric headlining is a particular high point, I enjoyed making that and I shall probably miss that the most. The car earned the name Crapaud (French for toad) for it is small, lumpy and green.
Purveyor of disappointing automobiles.
1980 Austin Morris Princess 2
1975 Renault 6TL

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Coupe

Re: Je suis Crapaud.

Postby GTiJohn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 am

What a fascinating story. Pity you can't take it the last few metres to completion but life is sometimes about knowing when to let go.

The imminent Resto show would seem like a good place to look for a new owner. I'm sure there will be one or more Renault/French enthusiasts owners clubs there. Why do you put together a flier to advertise it and either take it round yourself if you're attending, or one of us will.

That's assuming no Maxi lovers amongst us has a French fancy... :wink3
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Postby 1234dist » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am

Such a shame so close to the finish line.

But it happens, regularly unfortunately.

Is there no one in the french carp owners club that could maybe pop down for a fix it day.

Brew and bacon is usually required but fresh eyes always makes a difference.
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
220 Coupe Turbo M622UMO (Donor for below)
Coupe Project K785OAT(LongTerm WIP)

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Oh the problem is sure to be a simple one. These things normally are. At this point it needs a more experienced eye cast over it to get to the bottom of the problem, whatever it might be. Engines are the one thing I don't enjoy working on, that and electrics. Everything else I'm pretty comfortable with.
1975 Renault 6TL

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Turbo Hatchback

Postby 220 GSi turbo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 am

My mate's first car was a Renault 6 (bright red) but terminal rust around the rear end meant that it never survived to see its 10th birthday :o

He replaced it with a purple Marina 1.8 TC Coupe :cool and that survives to this day (although not in his ownership)

We had great fun with his R6, although he couldn't keep up with my Austin 1300GT, especially on the twisty bits :laughing2
Yours has done well to last as long as it has! I don't know if this will help with your non-start problem, but I seem to remember that the engine runs 'backwards', so great care is needed when connecting HT leads to the distributor cap.
1995 220 GSi Turbo now celebrating 15 years of ownership
1994 216SLi
Daily: R25 TD

Previously: 216 Coupe L887PTR(1993-95) 214SLi N219EPO(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:37 pm

I've been through the plug lead order on this one and got other people to do the same, tried different combinations, ignored, the manual, followed the manual... suffice to say the way around they are now is the only way around they go. It's odd though because it does behave a bit like two leads are the wrong way around, they're just not.

It's one of those where every item has been gone through and nothing can be found amiss. That probably means the new owner will go through it all to check what he's got, stick a key in, and it'll fire straight up without them actually having to change anything. For me, I'm back to browsing eBay and looking at terrible things like Triumph TR7s and Mayflowers and abandoned Maxis. There's so many cars I want to have a go at, it's hard to know what to go for!
1975 Renault 6TL

Raider
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

Postby Raider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:42 pm

I have 2 TR7S and love them :o
1969 Triumph 2000
1977 Triumph TR7 16V rally car
1982 Triumph TR7 dhc
1992 Mini Mayfair
1992 Rover 214i
1995 Rover 214 SEi
http://raidertr7.blogspot.co.uk/

Numptey
Enthusiast
Car Ownership: Other Rover

Postby Numptey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 am

Must be worth a few quid, why not ebay it?

Your Xantia estate looks lovely, had a BX myself years ago the suspension was awesome

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Because eBay is full of chancers and morons and I'd rather avoid it at all costs. Gumtree is worse. The Xantia was a superb old bus, unfortunately the seating position in it caused me chronic back pain otherwise I'd likely still have it.
1975 Renault 6TL

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Postby Paul_1978_yorks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:37 am

Vulgalour wrote:I've been through the plug lead order on this one and got other people to do the same, tried different combinations, ignored, the manual, followed the manual... suffice to say the way around they are now is the only way around they go. It's odd though because it does behave a bit like two leads are the wrong way around, they're just not.

It's one of those where every item has been gone through and nothing can be found amiss. That probably means the new owner will go through it all to check what he's got, stick a key in, and it'll fire straight up without them actually having to change anything. For me, I'm back to browsing eBay and looking at terrible things like Triumph TR7s and Mayflowers and abandoned Maxis. There's so many cars I want to have a go at, it's hard to know what to go for!

There's a 1750 Maxi on eBay at the minute, barn find (really!), been off the road since 1997.
Current:
1990 White 416 GSi (G-reg)
Former:
1995 Silver 214 SEi (N-reg), 1995 Nightfire Red 214 SEi (N-reg), 1994 BRG 214 SEi (M-reg), 1993 Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet (K-reg), 1995 Silver 216 SLi (M-reg)

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Well... since the Renault sold this afternoon in a very painless transaction and I now have money in my pocket...

I'm going to resist the temptation of orange Maxis and instead buy boring things like catalytic converters and tyres and petrol for my British cars. Princess MoT on the 3rd of April and hopefully after that Pride of Longbridge and some other events. Just have to see how far my pennies will stretch.
1975 Renault 6TL

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Coupe

Postby GTiJohn » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Sometimes you just have to say goodbye :sad
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Vulgalour
Club Member

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Given that I pretty much broke even on what money I put into this car and gave it the best chance at survival, I'm content with the outcome. New owner was considering repainting it in the original metallic green, I think it was called Fern Green, which really suits the Renault and goes well with the tan interior. Difficult to find examples of it online, I think it's the same as this Renault 18 and possibly the same colour on this 4.

But not this 6 which seems to be a paler, less yellowy green and more common on late model Spanish cars.

Anyway, it's not my worry any more. Hopefully the new owner will stay in touch and I can help with any items he gets stuck with and hopefully if he gets it running he can tell me what exactly was amiss on it, I'd actually love to know what was stopping it running properly, I bet it's something daft.
1975 Renault 6TL

Return to “The Lounge”