faulty wiper switch? Or wiper motor?

Having problems with your club car? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition
Conedia
Viking Editor

faulty wiper switch? Or wiper motor?

Post by Conedia »

The wipers on my 1992 416 GSi will only work on slow and fast wipes. They no longer work on intermittent, and they no longer self park whether using the flick wipe function or the slow and fast wipe functions. Would this be a fault within the column-mounted wiper control stalk, or within the wiper motor itself?
GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Re: faulty wiper switch? Or wiper motor?

Post by GTiJohn »

Either, possibly...

I had similar problems and had to change both to resolve them.

Pick one to start with :laughing2
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams...and now Turbos
StubbornPatriot
Club Secretary

Post by StubbornPatriot »

I have been told the self park issue is a fault in the wiper motor mechanism. I haven't had time to try anything out yet though, so I can't confirm this.
1989 216GSI + 1990 216GSI + 1997 416 Tourer + ? + Triumph T160V
rjessett
Club Member

Post by rjessett »

Ususally its the wiper mechanism - the contacts inside get a bit worn. You can open them up and fix them by drilling out the rivets and replacing with self tappers.
Conedia
Viking Editor

Post by Conedia »

Have done that - drilled out the rivets, opened up the motor gear housing, cleaned everything up, cleaned the contacts, put it all back together with self tapping screws, no difference. When switching to the intermittent position I can hear what sounds like a relay doing two clicks (second click slightly louder than the first one), so I am beginning to suspect it's a relay or some other similar fault. Anyone any ideas?
Conedia
Viking Editor

Post by Conedia »

Further to the above, I ran the MFU diagnostic check as described in Haynes. Following these instructions, I pressed the heated rear window switch and turned on the ignition simultaneously, then immediately released the heated rear window switch. I got a short series of bleeps. So far so good. I then pressed the heated rear window switch again, and got one bleep. What should happen next is that operating lights, wipers, etc, should elicit more bleeps, but I got nothing, indicating a fault somewhere, and again likely a relay. The most likely culprit is Item 129 Front Wiper Relay, located behind the lower right hand facia panel. Anyone know how to identify it? And can a replacement one be sourced from a supplier somewhere? Finally, I pressed the heated rear window switch a third time, at which point the MFU should operate each function in turn, but all I got was a continuous bleep. I did notice that the interior courtesy light (also controlled by the MFU) comes on only when the passenger door is opened, not the driver’s door. Whether that is connected to an MFU problem, or is simply a courtesy light switch fault, I have no idea. Anyone have further thoughts?
crepello
Club Member

Post by crepello »

Remove the driver's door switch from the B-pillar and clean it.
It's a very basic thing, it's supposed to just ground a wire when the door is open.