Clutch Pedal Goes Straight to the Floor

Having problems with your club car? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition
cybercontroller
Club Member

Clutch Pedal Goes Straight to the Floor

Post by cybercontroller »

Driving the Rover 25 yesterday morning, there was a clump sort of sound and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor due to no resistance and I was n longer able to change gear. So a breakdown and needed recovery (This is a whole saga itself).
My brief investigation found the cable moving freely under the bonnet so it has either detached from the pedal or snapped. Of course I cannot say which.
The clutch and cable were changed less than four years ago and I really don't think there should be another failure so soon.

Anyone have any experience on this?
itcaptainslow
Events Secretary

Re: Clutch Pedal Goes Straight to the Floor

Post by itcaptainslow »

You may find the attachment to the pedal itself has fatigued and failed - seen this once before on a 25.
Rover 200Vi
Rover 214SEI
Lotus Elise S
Toyota GR86
g259fsg
Club Member

Post by g259fsg »

I agree, it should have lasted longer. I had a clutch cable failure on our 214 a few years ago, however that was after more than 20 years use. It failed at the clutch end where it goes into the clutch lever, the plastic fitting having disintegrated. Assume yours looks OK at that end.
cybercontroller
Club Member

I suspect you might be right about the pedal attachment as that has not been replaced.

I cannot see at the clutch end but the cable feels loose through the bulkhead which is why I am pretty sure it is the pedal end.
cybercontroller
Club Member

The clutch cable has snapped. So have ordered a replacement from Rimmers.

The current one was only changed three and a half years and about 10,000 miles ago.
cybercontroller
Club Member

So had the clutch cable changed but it seems the clutch itself has failed as not able to disengage. Really not in the script.
Any recommendation for the replacement?
Looks like two options from Rimmers, Borg and Beck or the MG Rover one. Would one be better than the other or are there other options too?
itcaptainslow
Events Secretary

Post by itcaptainslow »

The MG Rover clutch from Rimmers won’t necessarily be a genuine part anymore, it’ll possibly be something aftermarket in an MG Rover box.

If it is a genuine clutch (worth emailing them to ask - the way to tell is if it HASN’T got the XPart website printed on the label) then it’s worth having. Otherwise, a Borg & Beck will be a reasonable substitute.

Worth checking when the gearbox is out that the clutch actuation arm hasn’t seized in the bell housing (which may have stressed the cable & caused premature failure).
Rover 200Vi
Rover 214SEI
Lotus Elise S
Toyota GR86
cybercontroller
Club Member

Sourced a clutch from Rimmers and Rover was collected in the week. But turns out the root cause is the clutch release fork with is not longer available. Cheeked with Rimmers and the Rover part number is UTB000040. So, hoping for something from these options.
1 Does anyone have a spare or knows where one can be sourced?
2 Being form the Ford IB5 gearbox, is there a corresponding Ford part number that is still available. The gearbox would have been used of Fords too so surely must have had a Ford part number too.
3 Do we know the actual manufacturer of the part and might it be sourced from them?
4 Finding a second hand part form a breakers or ebay. The concern would be the quality and whether it might have the same issue and the failed part. Are these a common point of failure?
220 GSi turbo
Club Member

Post by 220 GSi turbo »

A quick scan of eBay reveals a secondhand fork from a breakers at £75 plus postage (they also have a gearbox for sale without the fork so we can see what's going on here! :laughing2 ) there is also a secondhand gearbox available for £50 if you are willing to collect it from Crewe :drive1

I would probably bet that this is a standard Ford part and after a bit of Googling I found these numbers mentioned on a Ford forum: 91AB-7503-AG and Finis 6928449
Somebody else mentioned that if the problem is due to a broken or missing pin in the release fork, it can probably be replaced with a generic split roll pin of suitable diameter.

Are there any breakers near you that would have a late 25 or 45 in?
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 22 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi

Daily: Honda Civic Type R GT

Previously: 216 Sprint (1988-91)216 Coupe(1993-95) 214SLi(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer (2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)
cybercontroller
Club Member

No idea what breakers round here might have but found this
https://www.bearingkits.co.uk/Rover-400 ... #gsc.tab=0

If this is the right part, it might worth looking into.