420GSi tourer engine vibration

Having problems with your club car? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition
MatthewL
Club Member

420GSi tourer engine vibration

Post by MatthewL »

Anyone had an issue with engine vibration at around 3500 revs or 70mph in their 220 or 420 petrol? It’s really irritating and I can’t imagine it’s how it should be. It makes motorwaying a pain.

Anyone had this? Any ideas to reduce it?
g259fsg
Club Member

Re: 420GSi tourer engine vibration

Post by g259fsg »

Engine mountings OK? Also there may be an anti-torque restraint on the gearbox with rubber bushes (there is on the 214). Another possibility is the driveshafts/wheels if the vibration is at higher speeds. Does it vibrate around the same speed in 4th and 5th, or is it at a different road speed - tells you whether it's in the engine or the transmission.
MatthewL
Club Member

Post by MatthewL »

Hi, yes it’s at revs rather than road speed so probably at 60 in 4th it would be boomy and vibraty… if that’s a word. Do I suspect it’s engine rather than drive shafts or wheels. Just had those balanced which removed previous wheel wobble at 60 regardless of gear. Is it a big job to change engine mounts? Can you still get them?
g259fsg
Club Member

Post by g259fsg »

Only really know about the 1400 K Series. Changing the engine mountings on that is not so difficult, a bit fiddly on one side and you need to jack up the engine. Rimmers do appear to have some engine mountings for the 2000 engine at a price. You should be able to see if they are deteriorated. Can you identify the vibration if someone else runs the engine up to 3500 rpm briefly in neutral while you inspect the engine?

Hugh
1990 Rover 214 GSi (VIN 222977)
1964 Humber Super Snipe Series V
1965 Humber Sceptre Mk.1
1966 Hillman Minx Series VI
GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Post by GTiJohn »

MatthewL wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:17 pm Is it a big job to change engine mounts? Can you still get them?

Yes and no, so look at everything else first!
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams...and now Turbos
itcaptainslow
Events Secretary

Post by itcaptainslow »

I’ve just replaced the lower & upper engine brace bushes as well as the main conical rubber engine mount on a 1.8 ZS I’m renovating for a friend, and it’s made a big difference in the way the car feels. There’s a lot less NVH transmitted through the body.

The bush can be found here. I would check this will fit your car before ordering - send DMGRS an email, Scott is very friendly and helpful

The brace bars aren’t difficult to remove - five minutes each side. From memory they’re 15mm bolts, but don’t quote me. I recommend an impact socket and breaker bar for removal!

You’ll need either a sturdy vice or a friendly garage with a hydraulic press to remove & refit the bushes.

The free play and “slop” in the old bush with the arm removed could be felt easily by hand.

The main engine mount is a little more involved, but easily DIY’able. You’ll need to support the engine with a jack & block of wood on the sump, then after removing the brace bar as above, unbolt and remove the mount. Will take probably ten minutes.

The 1.8 mount was still available from Rimmers, but I’m not sure if it’s the same as the T-Series for a R8, you’ll need to check.

If you have trouble finding the part number, drop me a PM with your chassis number and I will check the microfiche/EPC.
Rover 200Vi
Rover 214SEI
Lotus Elise S
Toyota GR86
MatthewL
Club Member

Post by MatthewL »

g259fsg wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:56 am Only really know about the 1400 K Series. Changing the engine mountings on that is not so difficult, a bit fiddly on one side and you need to jack up the engine. Rimmers do appear to have some engine mountings for the 2000 engine at a price. You should be able to see if they are deteriorated. Can you identify the vibration if someone else runs the engine up to 3500 rpm briefly in neutral while you inspect the engine?

Hugh
Great idea Hugh. I can do that.
MatthewL
Club Member

Post by MatthewL »

itcaptainslow wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:15 pm I’ve just replaced the lower & upper engine brace bushes as well as the main conical rubber engine mount on a 1.8 ZS I’m renovating for a friend, and it’s made a big difference in the way the car feels. There’s a lot less NVH transmitted through the body.

The bush can be found here. I would check this will fit your car before ordering - send DMGRS an email, Scott is very friendly and helpful

The brace bars aren’t difficult to remove - five minutes each side. From memory they’re 15mm bolts, but don’t quote me. I recommend an impact socket and breaker bar for removal!

You’ll need either a sturdy vice or a friendly garage with a hydraulic press to remove & refit the bushes.

The free play and “slop” in the old bush with the arm removed could be felt easily by hand.

The main engine mount is a little more involved, but easily DIY’able. You’ll need to support the engine with a jack & block of wood on the sump, then after removing the brace bar as above, unbolt and remove the mount. Will take probably ten minutes.

The 1.8 mount was still available from Rimmers, but I’m not sure if it’s the same as the T-Series for a R8, you’ll need to check.

If you have trouble finding the part number, drop me a PM with your chassis number and I will check the microfiche/EPC.
Thanks that’s great info. And what a great website that is. I’ll investigate and then look to find some parts if it’ll reduce vibration into the car
itcaptainslow
Events Secretary

Post by itcaptainslow »

As a side note, you can check for free play in the engine mounts by using a lever bar to lever against them. You want very little movement.

If the bushes aren’t available, it may be worth contacting a company such as Powerflex to see if they manufacture aftermarket solutions (e.g. for a coupe turbo) that would fit. Just be aware that a firmer bush will likely transmit more NVH than a factory one.
Rover 200Vi
Rover 214SEI
Lotus Elise S
Toyota GR86
MatthewL
Club Member

Post by MatthewL »

Thanks. I have seen one engine mount for sale for driver side under timing belt but I don’t know about the rest - assuming there are 3? Thinking these may also be the cause of some tickover vibration in the car even though the idle is really even, if a tad high.