Rear wheel arches

Use this board for any non-technical club car related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.
Bal2sheds
Club Member

Rear wheel arches

Post by Bal2sheds »

Hi All,
Hope you are all well.
Need to pick your brains.
I’ve posted before about the rear wheel arches on previous posts.

Now I want a good, reputable body shop to replace the wheel arches and do a good job at a good price.
I’m in Birmingham.

Can Club members recommend anyone??

Ive used a mobile welder before on a Ford Galaxy to do patchwork but I think a body shop maybe more suitable.

I’m open to all your thoughts and comments.

Many thanks.
Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

Re: Rear wheel arches

Post by Johnny 216GSi »

Bal2sheds wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:44 pm Can Club members recommend anyone??

https://birminghamwelder.com/

He's as honest as the day is long. Ex Rover, ex services. He charges a flat fee per unit length of welding.

Went to him once to ask about him about tidying up the sills on my car.

He's just straight down the line. No messing, no hidden costs, no "salesman" patter, nothing. And not just a blunt say-it-like-it-is person either. He's a really nice guy, so treat him nicely.

Worth making an appointment to go and see him with your car, where he'll give you a free, honest appraisal and quote, and he'll tell you whether he can do the job based on his own assessment of his own skills, knowing you'll want a first-class result. If he doesn't thing he'd get you that, he won't offer you a quote for himself to do the work.

Pretty sure all you'll get though is the repair panels welded into place and possibly ground down so everything is nice and flat / smooth. He won't add the scrape of body filler necessary to get an ultra-flat surface, and he won't do the paint over the top. Nor will he fill the cavity with wax or other rust-prevention system. He just does welding (as far as I know, anyway). He's just a very, very, good welder.

Other than that, I had my rear wheel arches replaced using repair panels at Mick Hadley Autos (https://mickhadleyautos.co.uk/). They did a great job - you can't see where the repair panels have been cut into the original bodywork. Everything looks original, including the panel gap between the rear door panel and the sill piece in the bottom corner (I've got a 5-door). Spot on.

When I took my car to Ernie (Birmingham Welder - my first link above) he was having a a look at the front sill sections which is where I wanted the work done, and he had a poke around the rear sill sections done my Mick Hadley Autos. Without me saying anything at all, he came out with the comment "Your paint man knows what he's doing" which was a testament to how Mick Hadley had done the external panel finishes around the rear wheel arches, including going underneath the car. I didn't ask him precisely what he'd seen in order for him to pay Mick Hadley Autos the compliment, but my take away has always been that I managed to find two decent, honest and competent body repair outfits locally to me and got the benefit of both whilst I was restoring my car.

My rear wheel arch and sill welding remains completely solid and intact to this day. It's got to be at least 8 years now since Mick Hadley did the rear wheel arches and lower sill sections. I admit to adding more cavity wax since they've been done (Dinitrol 1000) but that was just for my own peace of mind. I personally think every R8 owner should be squirting some Dinitrol 1000 into their rear wheel arch sections periodically regardless of whether they've been replaced or not, as it is an area prone to rusting.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image
Bal2sheds
Club Member

Re: Rear wheel arches

Post by Bal2sheds »

Hiya,

Ernie might be the right guy.
A car man.

Thanks for the in depth note, I want to do a proper job for a proper price.

Many thanks

Bal.