CD43 Radio removal

Having problems with your club car? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition
Yorkshireman
Club Member

CD43 Radio removal

Post by Yorkshireman »

Anyone got any top tips for removing the CD43 type radio without breaking it. I have unscrewed the two allen bolts behind the little flaps but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
SteveB
Club Member

Re: CD43 Radio removal

Post by SteveB »

I don't have any 'hands on' experience but looking online it sounds like you slacken off the allen bolts and the unit 'should' just pull out.

This from 'DND Services' website (relates to a Mini installation):

"To remove the Radio, open the two small flaps at either side of the fascia that will reveal the small allen key headed bolts. Unscrew these bolts as far as they will go, taking care not to damage the heads. The bolts will not come out, but are winding back a sliding bar inside the radio. Stop when resistance is felt. You should then be able to then withdraw the radio."

Apparently the same unit was fitted to cars made by a certain German manufacturer (who once owned Rover :wink3 ). Similar advice appears on their owner forums. It sounds like one of the plugs on the back can be quite tricky to remove.
Yorkshireman
Club Member

Post by Yorkshireman »

Thanks Steve. I have slackened the bolts but doesn't seem to have made any difference. If it was a cassette player rather than CD I could put my fingers in the cassette slot to pull it out but the problem with these is it's a tight fit and there is nothing to get hold of, CD slot is too narrow to get your fingers in and you can't reach up behind console to push it from back, that is why I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas or experience.
Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

Post by Mr Teddy Bear »

I take it this application doesn't use two pin holes on either side of the unit? that you fit a pair of spring clips into.
Teddy Bear

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

214Si Silver? Tempest Grey 1993
Yorkshireman
Club Member

Post by Yorkshireman »

No mate, these are held in by 2 little Allen bolts that wind out a tab metal tab. I have got it out now I had a brain wave just as I woke up this morning - I have a roll of tape similar to gaffer tape but stronger adhesive so I cut a couple of pieces off that, fed them through the small gaps between top and bottom of radio and facia, pushed a steel ruler through to stick the adhesive to the radio then pulled the radio out with the tapes. Came out third go.
Montegoman
Membership Secretary

Post by Montegoman »

Well done!
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (R8 No.1)
25GSi 2.0TD KX56KXM Owned from new.
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (19 yrs of ownership)
Yorkshireman
Club Member

Post by Yorkshireman »

Thank you.
SteveB
Club Member

Post by SteveB »

Brilliant - glad you got it sorted, and a useful tip for anyone with the same issue.

As for your immobiliser problem I really do sympathise. There are few things more frustrating than your own car not letting you drive it away when there's nothing mechanically wrong with it.
Yorkshireman
Club Member

Post by Yorkshireman »

Thanks Steve. You are dead right there. In case you haven't seen my post today under the immobilizer heading I have managed to sort that much to my relief. I was looking at a post on another page the other day where someone is selling their ZR that looks really nice for £400 because they can't get the immobilizer off it and was beginning to think I might have to do something similar.