1994 216 Cabriolet with ALB Master Cylinder.

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Greenrover100
Club Member

1994 216 Cabriolet with ALB Master Cylinder.

#1 Post by Greenrover100 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:31 am

Hi Neil here from South Australia. I am having a major problem with my Cabriolet.
There is only 3 to 4 cabriolets in Australia that the Australian Club's know about and the 200 series were never sold here so product knowledge is almost zero.
I took my car in for some work and was advised that the master cylinder needed replacement. As my car has ALB warning bells went off and I advised that the system is different.
The first replacement apparently did not fit so I was told the original was refurbished !.
After many days the mechanic rang to advise he could not get much brake pedal without pumping the brakes.The brakes were flushed multiple times plus vacume bled to no avail. The ALB was also flushed and the solenoide's operated after I built an electrical tester but still NO pedal. One year on and car is not on the road as the mechanic could not repair it.
The mechanic is adament the original was rebuilt but it looks new and it is marked Nissin and sized as 15/16. Can anyone advise the correct size to suit an ALB system as I believe it is not the original and can any one advise if the correct cylinder is the same as the Honda equivalent or the correct part number or hope upon hope where I can buy a new unit.
I hope this is not rambling and someone can help.
Regards Neil.

961tat
Club Member

Re: 1994 216 Cabriolet with ALB Master Cylinder.

#2 Post by 961tat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:44 am

This mite help i sure someone more knowledgeable will be along .

http://www.rover200.org.uk/forums/viewt ... ce8b1d9360

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Re: 1994 216 Cabriolet with ALB Master Cylinder.

#3 Post by GTiJohn » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:48 am

961tat wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:44 am
This mite help i sure someone more knowledgeable will be along .
Here goes then!

It does sound like a master cylinder problem rather than one with the failure-prone ALB system.

The Honda ALB2 system has a 'low pressure' circuit, pressurised by your foot, and a 'high pressure' side pressurised by a pump/accumulator. They even have separate fluid reservoirs.

(Don't worry that it looks to be only connected to one rear caliper, it isn't and then there's the other half of the dual-circuit)

Your foot is still connected to the calipers, even in the event of an ALB system failure, so if you've determined that you're not losing brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir then the failure to raise pressure is likely to related to the master cylinder seal/bore.

The master cylinder should look like this and is a Nissin part - the 15/16 marking is obvious.

If it does, then we might be able to help. PM me so we can discuss further.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams