Distributor Cap Supplier

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Plodder
Club Member

Distributor Cap Supplier

#1 Post by Plodder » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:18 pm

I'm trying to replace the distributor cap and rotor arm on my 416 as it is momentarily a bit hesitant on one of the cylinders on start up.
I have recently replaced the spark plugs and leads and I don't have a record of replacing the cap and arm in the last ten years so I think they're due for replacement.
Rimmers don't have any stock and neither do Xpart
However Xpart adviced me that as my engine numbe which is E003602 is under E100000 that I need the following
Distributor Cap GDC347
Rotor Arm GRA2287
I've managed to source what I hope is a genuine Unipart rotor arm but the only Distibutor caps I can find are on eBay.
Does anyone know of a supplier for the Distrubtor caps?
If I have to buy it from eBay does anyone have any suppliers/makes they have used and would recommend?
1991 Rover 416 GTI Auto - Flame Red

James3990

Re: Distributor Cap Supplier

#2 Post by James3990 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:16 am

Someone like Euro Car Parts stock these parts.

I brought arm and cap for my my 220 Coupe and the brand was Beru.

Discount applied, it was £25 for both.

Plastic colouring was black, I know some brands are a horrible brown/orange colour so just be careful.
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo Racer

JOHNDQ

#3 Post by JOHNDQ » Sat May 01, 2021 8:49 am

Search from a Honda CRX or Civic EF with your engine code find 1000's then

Plodder
Club Member

#4 Post by Plodder » Sat May 01, 2021 9:23 am

Thanks for all the advice.
I think the number on the current cap is a Honda number .
Previously I’ve brought the parts from a local helpful car parts shop in Hertfordshire it was easy to take them back if needed , although I never needed to. Need to find a place like that here in Devon
Before contacting Xpart I was looking on the internet it showed 2 different shapes compatible with my car hence the reluctance to order from some of the sites.
However now I have the correct part numbers both Rover and Honda I’ll give it another go today.
I know what you mean about the brown coloured ones I think my first 1965 mini had that lovely brown colour distributor cap!

Plodder
Club Member

#5 Post by Plodder » Sat May 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Well parts on order , sadly no joy at Euro Car Part on my model- fingers crossed.
I seriously doubt some of the ebay compatibility charts that are displayed. :S
Parts are listed as compatible on the list but if I enter the details of my vehicle , the same as what's on the list, suddenly the part is not compatible.
I going with the information that I got from Xpart a much more enjoyable experience. :clapping
I now have the Unipart Part No , Rover Part No and Honda equivalent for my vehicle and will rely on them in the future.
Here's hoping with that with the new parts fitted the car will start more easily in the future otherwise..... :scared