Tailgate Courtesy Lights Not Working

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Julesmat50
Club Member

Tailgate Courtesy Lights Not Working

#1 Post by Julesmat50 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 pm

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please. The 2 courtesy lights in the tailgate of my tourer don't illuminate, both when the tailgate is open and if the little pushbutton switches are pressed in. Firstly, as I don't have a handbook, does anyone know what conditions will normally operate these lights - e.g ignition on, or all car lights on, or both/neither? I'm assuming they should work in the same way as the interior light when any door is opened, so should come on if the tailgate is opened.
I first thought that perhaps the bulbs were U/S, especially as the clear plastic cover was missing from one of them. There was a broken wire on the other one too (now fixed).
I've swapped the bulbs to no avail, they still fail to illuminate.
I checked to see if there was continuity in the wiring and there is and by connecting a multimeter from the bulb holder closest to the switch and the tailgate lock loop, I get a reading of 12.35v. If I put a bulb in, I get 12.35v on the other side of the bulb holder, so I assume power is flowing through the bulb, yet it still won't illuminate.
There are 3 wires from the lamp to the loom connector, one each going to the switch. Top and Middle wires have no connectivity to earth, the Bottom one does - again using the lock loop. There are only 2 wires going from the connector into the wiring loom - one is purple/red, the other is solid purple.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but does anyone have any helpful suggestions/help?
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Current 418SLD Turbo Tourer - Diamond White II
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

RoverRevival
Club Member

Re: Tailgate Courtesy Lights Not Working

#2 Post by RoverRevival » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:29 am

I’d put money on the tailgate gap wiring being chaffed or split.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
& C3

Julesmat50
Club Member

#3 Post by Julesmat50 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:36 pm

RoverRevival wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:29 am
Would that also explain the rear wiper motor not working as well?
I assume I have to look inside the rubber tube on the top RHS of the tailgate for the potential damage?
Also, what size of wiper blade is meant to be fitted? There is a 13" one at the moment, but it looks too small. I would estimate up to 15" would fit, but Rimmers are of no help - as they don't have it in stock, it's not mentioned on the exploded diagram :glare and Ebay seems to suggest 18" which seems far too big!
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Current 418SLD Turbo Tourer - Diamond White II
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

StubbornPatriot
Club Secretary

#4 Post by StubbornPatriot » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:46 pm

RoverRevival wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:29 am
Would that also explain the rear wiper motor not working as well?
Almost certainly would. I discovered exactly this on a car I recently bought. The thick Bk/Gn wire completely severed and the sheath split on the thick Bk wire, exposing the inner cable. They're easy enough to get at by pealing back the rubber sleeve they run through but I don't think patching them up is going to be so easy. My boot light and rear wiper don't work either, although the boot light seemed to have been shorting through one of the exposed wires, as it started working again while I was fiddling about with them.
1989 216GSI + 1990 216GSI + 1997 416 Tourer + ? + Triumph T160V