Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Message
Author
lotus3512
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#1 Post by lotus3512 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Not had the most brilliant news today. My recently aquired 1990 416GSi had a cracked windscreen and upon replacement..... Oh dear.

In short the drivers side A pillar and along the top of the windscreen are rotten. It is a real shame as the rest of the car is very solid indeed... Infact, I belive this is the only area of rust there really is.. Sills and arches are original and solid, underneath is good. paintwork is faded and there is laquer peel but all is good from a stregnth perspective however, it clearly requires a new A-piller & roof and it is simply somthing I cannot proceed to do and fianance.

Which leaves me at a very painful impasse... I have two options - sell the car whole, swallow my losses and pray that the next owner doesn't just bin it, or have a go at stripping it myself with my fairly limited knowlage, space and recorces. But it really does pain me to be the one to seal its fate.

The car mechanically is in excellent condition.. Fantastic. It has 20,600 miles on the clock and you can tell when driving it. the dashboard, seats, door cards all in very good order, doors, boot, wings, bonnet etc etc all excellent. Engine as afformentioned only 20,600 miles, just had a full service, plugs and timing belt.

I just need to decide what to do really *laughs* and thaught i'd empty my mind here. Sell it as a parts car? Strip it for parts myself? Would anyone here be willing to buy/save it?

Any useless input welcome! I am going to go and mourm poor H828EWL
H828 EWL - 1990 Rover 416GSi
H592 DOD - 1991 Rover 214S

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#2 Post by RoverRevival » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:16 pm

We can sort that out for you.

Most expensive part of that will be getting the windscreen out.
Plenty of parts for sale @ www.roverrevival.co.uk

lotus3512
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#3 Post by lotus3512 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 pm

Oh right? Well, at the moment it is sat with no windscreen attatched in it so that's not a problem!
after removing the old windscreen it was plain to see you were not going to get a new one to bond in place as all along the top of where the windscreen was, as well as down the drivers A-post was rusted and quite hole-y and speaking to the glass guy it is quite likely that it will need a new A-post and section of the roof welding in which does sound like quite substantial and costly work!
H828 EWL - 1990 Rover 416GSi
H592 DOD - 1991 Rover 214S

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#4 Post by RoverRevival » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:25 pm

All stuff we do on a regular basis….*laughs*

We’ll also be able to get a new screen fitted as well.

Just offering our services out there.
Plenty of parts for sale @ www.roverrevival.co.uk

lotus3512
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#5 Post by lotus3512 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm

Alright... Well, I know it is kind of hard to pull an estimate out of thin air, but how much do you recon we would be looking at for likely a replacement drivers A-pillar and front section of the roof with the screen?
H828 EWL - 1990 Rover 416GSi
H592 DOD - 1991 Rover 214S

henryiett
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#6 Post by henryiett » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Judging how he priced mine for the future good value, for good quality and a passionate person
Rover 214si 1990

lotus3512
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#7 Post by lotus3512 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm

Yeah, I had a quick look on their website and they look a fantastic company
H828 EWL - 1990 Rover 416GSi
H592 DOD - 1991 Rover 214S

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#8 Post by RoverRevival » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 am

lotus3512 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm
Alright... Well, I know it is kind of hard to pull an estimate out of thin air, but how much do you recon we would be looking at for likely a replacement drivers A-pillar and front section of the roof with the screen?
No pics, no guess but if you need ball parks £250-600 would be my guess. Assuming paint as well as that would be the wild card. With rust, it’s not what you see on the surface most times, and you never know until you start cutting.

In on a Range Rover atm and on the outside everything looks mint. When we removed the electrics and air box in the rear it was biscuit soft and ended up having the entire rear arch replaced.
Plenty of parts for sale @ www.roverrevival.co.uk

961tat
Club Member
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:19 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#9 Post by 961tat » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:31 am

If your thinking of having this done i have A pillar section i have cut out and leading edge of roof section it would also make Mr revivals job a lot easier :thumbup1

lotus3512
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#10 Post by lotus3512 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 am

RoverRevival wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 am
lotus3512 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm
Alright... Well, I know it is kind of hard to pull an estimate out of thin air, but how much do you recon we would be looking at for likely a replacement drivers A-pillar and front section of the roof with the screen?
No pics, no guess but if you need ball parks £250-600 would be my guess. Assuming paint as well as that would be the wild card. With rust, it’s not what you see on the surface most times, and you never know until you start cutting.

In on a Range Rover atm and on the outside everything looks mint. When we removed the electrics and air box in the rear it was biscuit soft and ended up having the entire rear arch replaced.
Wow, okay then, well that is about half what I was expecting the job to be tbh! May have to do some thinking. I will take some pics and post them here later on or tomorrow whenever I can.

The car has had a replacement windscreen already at some point in its past, but it is a job that clearly wasn't done very well and trapped moisture in which has eaten away around the windscreen which is a real shame because the rest of the car is very solid indeed from what I can tell, just fading and laquer peel. But yeah, I am going to have to take some photos of the damage. It would be cruel to see its demise for this especially being such a low milage car Image
H828 EWL - 1990 Rover 416GSi
H592 DOD - 1991 Rover 214S

Topcat Tomcat
Club Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:36 am
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#11 Post by Topcat Tomcat » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:23 am

I hope you do manage to save it. It appears to have the makings of a good car.
Topcat Tomcat (aka Conductorwomble)

1990 216 GSi Auto 5 Door
1995 214 iS 3 Door
2001 1.8 Connie 45 4 Door - Wedgewood Blue
2005 1.6 GSi 45 5 Door - Firefrost

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#12 Post by RoverRevival » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:10 pm

lotus3512 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 am
RoverRevival wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 am
lotus3512 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm
Alright... Well, I know it is kind of hard to pull an estimate out of thin air, but how much do you recon we would be looking at for likely a replacement drivers A-pillar and front section of the roof with the screen?
No pics, no guess but if you need ball parks £250-600 would be my guess. Assuming paint as well as that would be the wild card. With rust, it’s not what you see on the surface most times, and you never know until you start cutting.

In on a Range Rover atm and on the outside everything looks mint. When we removed the electrics and air box in the rear it was biscuit soft and ended up having the entire rear arch replaced.
Wow, okay then, well that is about half what I was expecting the job to be tbh! May have to do some thinking.
This is why rover revival exists!!
Plenty of parts for sale @ www.roverrevival.co.uk

User avatar
220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary
Posts: 2454
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: The National Forest

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#13 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:49 pm

Sounds like a careless windscreen fitter caused that many years ago.

I had the same issue with my 420 GSi Turbo (tried to claim on the corrosion warranty at the time, but the workshop manager took one look at the windscreen, saw it was a replacement and that was the end of my claim). Luckily the rust hadn't fully set in at the time and a local bodyshop did a decent job of rectifying it at a reasonable cost. We also had it on my wife's 216 GTi TC at 12 years old: I repaired it with filler and a good dose of white Hammerite at the time while the windscreen was out but it will need a more substantial repair in the future. Thankfully the 'damage' was confined to the end of the roof, not the A posts.
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 20 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi

Daily: ZR Trophy TD

Previously: 216 Sprint (1988-91)216 Coupe(1993-95) 214SLi(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

lotus3512
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#14 Post by lotus3512 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:30 am

RoverRevival wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:10 pm

This is why rover revival exists!!
Alright, got some pics, tbh not quite as bad as I recalled on the day *laughs* I guess that was just terror mode setting in a little but at least you can take a look -

Image
Image
Image
Image
H828 EWL - 1990 Rover 416GSi
H592 DOD - 1991 Rover 214S

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 7249
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: Rover 416GSi - values and what to do

#15 Post by RoverRevival » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 am

those pictures make it look a lot worse than it actually is, get a scrapper out and get all that bonding agent off.
Plenty of parts for sale @ www.roverrevival.co.uk

Post Reply