Cabby Insurance

Use this board for any non-technical club car related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.
Rovernut
Club Member

Cabby Insurance

Post by Rovernut »

Just received my Cabby Insurance renewal from Lancaster Classic car.
Jumped from £173 to £670!

No change in circumstances except a year older

80 years.

Is this ageist?😃

New quote for same car from Sterling £237😃
216 Cabby 1997
216 Tourer 1997
Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

Re: Cabby Insurance

Post by Mr Teddy Bear »

My renewal quote from Footman James to insure two cars a 214 & 216 is £377 if I pay on the nail! that includes an agreed valuation and RAC breakdown cover.

That is more than last year I believe, I must dig out the old policy.

It's nearly as expensive as a visit to the dentist! :o
Teddy Bear

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

214Si Silver? Tempest Grey 1993
Rovernut
Club Member

Post by Rovernut »

I'm guessing you don't live in Greater Manchester or similar!🙂
216 Cabby 1997
216 Tourer 1997
Montegoman
Membership Secretary

Post by Montegoman »

My insurance for both my 214s are with Footman James and are slightly cheaper than Mr Teddy Bear's but that may be because they are both kept in locked garages and on restricted mileage. I would expect insurance in Manchester, particularly for a cabrio would be more expensive. I would shop around. Different insurers have different risk profiles.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (R8 No.1)
25GSi 2.0TD KX56KXM Owned from new.
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (19 yrs of ownership)
Rovernut
Club Member

Post by Rovernut »

I understand the risk reasons it's just the massive hike from £170 to £670. Eighty year old Cabby drivers must be three times more accident prone than 79 year old ones 😃
216 Cabby 1997
216 Tourer 1997
Rovernut
Club Member

Post by Rovernut »

Footman James quote is £361.76
216 Cabby 1997
216 Tourer 1997
Stan Thomas
Club Member

Post by Stan Thomas »

I first insured my GSi420 with Lancaster for £283. The following year they wanted £1200. They said it was because the underwriters had increased their premiums - but upon checking that out via my contacts with the B.I.A. it proved not to be true.

Footman James insured me for just under £300, plus £15 optional for guaranteed valuation, and this is the best of it, £15 for retention if the car is written off.

So, given insurance companies write off cars at the drop of a hat (I had a Fiat Panda written off although it could have been repaired for £500), I retain the option to deliberate if my car gets damaged.
SteveB
Club Member

Post by SteveB »

I’ve just read an article that reckons the cost of car insurance has increased by 43% over the past 12 months (despite a 5% fall since the last quarter of 2023, when prices apparently reached record highs). The average cost of a comprehensive policy is now (apparently) around £941, an increase of about £284 :o

They suggest a few reasons for the increase. Firstly, there are more cars on the road than recent years – more cars means more accidents, hence more claims. The cost of parts and labour have increased so repairs are more expensive, while modern cars tend to be more complicated to repair, many being full of expensive bits of technology.

Where you live obviously makes a difference, along with age. An 18 year old could pay more than three times the average and, while prices used to fall when you reached around 25, their research suggests that insurance costs may not become reasonable until you now hit your forties. You’re also likely to pay more if you’re a bloke, despite gender equality legislation. Apparently men tend to drive more expensive cars, therefore have more expensive accidents, and tend to have more motoring convictions. Personally, my 214 ain’t worth that much, my licence is spotless, and I never use the rear view mirror to apply make up while I’m driving (unlike a woman I saw recently!).

When it comes to prices, it’s definitely worth trying one of the price comparison websites – if you’re on a tight budget you might find the ‘classic’ insurers aren’t necessarily the best option.