Search found 360 matches

by Plodder
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 pm
Forum: Technical and Diagnosis
Topic: Crankshaft Pulley Removal
Replies: 4
Views: 158

Re: Crankshaft Pulley Removal

Thanks for everyone’s input. I have heard about people making a tool to lock the crankshaft and had an idea of what was needed, Knowing the pin size is really helpful as it means I can see what I’ve got available in the garage to make a tool. I’m hoping the mechanic I’ve used previously was sympathe...
by Plodder
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:35 pm
Forum: Project Cars
Topic: Rover 416 GTI Auto - Restoring an old friend
Replies: 98
Views: 52829

Re: Rover 416 GTI Auto - Restoring an old friend

Just a small update. Finally managed to fit the new rear near side caliper that was identified as an issue on the the MOT. Only taken 4 months to find the time between the DIY, taxi driving, cold weather and the rain. So off with the old, that was fitted back in 2002, and on with the new! :D https:/...
by Plodder
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:57 am
Topic: Crankshaft Pulley Removal
Replies: 4
Views: 158

Crankshaft Pulley Removal

I’m looking to change the cam belt on my Honda engined 1991 416 Gti. Although I’ve owned the car for 27 years I have always been able to find a reliable garage to do the repair. Since moving to the South West I have struggled to find someone to do the repair. It doesn’t help that I have brought some...
by Plodder
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:11 am
Topic: Engine oil
Replies: 22
Views: 780

Re: Engine oil

I’ve used Classic Oils Hot Hatch 10w-40.
semi synthetic oil in my 91 416 Gti the last couple of oil changes.
I found Halfords were quoting me all sorts of weird and wonderful oils for my registration.
by Plodder
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:54 pm
Forum: Events and Meetings
Topic: Car Shows in the South West
Replies: 0
Views: 476

Car Shows in the South West

Just wondering if there is an interest in those of us in the South West in attending the Plymouth Motor Show on the 15/16th June. Here is the link for those interested. www.plymouthmotorshow.com There are some other shows at Powderham nr Exeter and the Wadebridge Wheel show, amongst others, that mig...
by Plodder
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:42 pm
Forum: The Gallery
Topic: The 420GSiT has gone...
Replies: 94
Views: 66165

Re: The 420GSiT has gone...

I’ve had a similar experience with my 416. A couple of pokes at suspect areas of bodywork has cost me a fortune over the last few years.
Still worth it in the end😁
Good luck with all the work.
by Plodder
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:22 pm
Forum: Project Cars
Topic: Rover 416 GTI Auto - Restoring an old friend
Replies: 98
Views: 52829

Re: Rover 416 GTI Auto - Restoring an old friend

Been unable to fix the dragging rear brake so have invested in a replacement calliper.
Just need to swap it over now
by Plodder
Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:37 am
Forum: Was It You?
Topic: R8 Red 214 - L446 MYB - M5 Tiverton
Views: 1170

R8 Red 214 - L446 MYB - M5 Tiverton

Lovely looking 214 braving the dark wet evening yesterday joining the M5 south at Tiverton.
by Plodder
Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:43 pm
Topic: Brake Bleed Kit
Views: 749

Brake Bleed Kit

Does anyone have any recommendations for one person bleed kits for the Rover 400 XW series of cars? Are they more effective and easier than having someone pressing the brake pedal for you ? I have an old Easibleed kit but it requires an extra master cylinder cap that you drill a hole in to make the ...
by Plodder
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:48 am
Topic: Automatic gearbox types
Replies: 1
Views: 341

Automatic gearbox types

Does anyone know the difference between an automatic gearbox type MPPA and one with the code SPPA? Both claim to be from a 1.6 Honda engined Rover. Is it different gear ratios for different models or a different year. I am considering whether it is worth buying one as a spare for the future. Mine is...