Valuation needed for probate - R8 200 one owner from new

Use this board for any non-technical club car related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.
Silvester
Forum User

Valuation needed for probate - R8 200 one owner from new

Post by Silvester »

Hi folks, sadly I need a probate valuation for my late father's 1994 R8 218SD Turbo, which he owned from new.

Before you get too excited, the car has done 185,000 miles, hasn't moved since 2011, has a very serious water ingress issue so the interior is damp and mouldy and the ignition key barrel is damaged from having the wrong key inserted so it can't be turned (so steering is locked and car can't be started). Tailgate is difficult to open, at least once I had to crawl inside and use the inside of the latch in the boot, wood trim has lost lacquer due to the damp. Dent in N/S sill has been poorly repaired. Passenger door replaced, DIY paint job on that is poor and a poor colour match. Fuel filter primer head diaphragm has been repaired with a piece of shower curtain, although that has worked perfectly for many many years and many tens of thousands of miles. Car seemed to have a lack of performance for at least the last 4 years it was in use, when compared to another 218SLD Turbo. This car does have the Peugeot XUD 1.7 turbocharged engine.

My Dad bought it with a 22.5% ex-BAe employee discount, towed a caravan with it and went as far north as John O-Groats, to the west coast of Ireland, a fair way in the southern half of France and through Germany. He got his money's worth!

Any thoughts on the value of the car as a whole (not broken) for probate (as of July this year, but I doubt it'd be any different now) very greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Colin
Last edited by Silvester on Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
crepello
Club Member

Re: Valuation needed for probate - R8 200 one owner from new

Post by crepello »

It may be a permissions setting, but your pictures aren't showing.

From your description, it doesn't sound like there would be too much competition to bump
the value up, were you to ask for offers. People would be factoring in the costs to get it
presentable again.

So, value not a great deal above scrap price I'd say. I was in a similar situation with my late
father's 400 Bubble, scrap value was accepted without quibbling. That was end of 2015, I
did scrap it, and stored an R8 in its place - I'd just got that at auction for £102!
Silvester
Forum User

Post by Silvester »

Thanks, think I have fixed the photos now?

I'm assuming scrap/parts car price - you'd either be extremely brave or rather mad to restore it. It served it's purpose very well though.
Montegoman
Membership Secretary

Post by Montegoman »

I would suggest no more than scrap value for probate purposes.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (R8 No.1)
25GSi 2.0TD KX56KXM Owned from new.
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (19 yrs of ownership)
crepello
Club Member

Post by crepello »

Can see the pics now.
Given the registration, I'd surmise a Weybridge/Kingston/Dunsfold connection?

It would be a shame, should it be scrapped without component recovery.
(I've a need for doors and wings in that colour combination.)
GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Post by GTiJohn »

Unfortunately, 'scrap value' is appropriate but....

As said by others, there's some value in the parts. For example, somebody was looking for an engine mounting bracket to save their car recently.

So, we could probably help organise a 'strip it' session to remove those, if you then were able to get the remained scrapped. It would help if it was warmer weather though :laughing2
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams...and now Turbos
Silvester
Forum User

Post by Silvester »

Thanks folks - ideally I'd like to sell it as a parts car, to be stripped an used for spares (save bits going to waste). What would folks think it would be fetch as such?

I did one quick scrap car quote which came out at £191! That assumes the steering works though (plus I need to swap the spare on, one tyre is flat and can't be pumped). Probably need to remove the steering lock. I had been thinking around £100.

I'm unlikely to have time to break it myself but do have the other 218 to get back on the road.

EDIT - depending on the scrappy, tere are rules as o how much needs to be there for the car to count as 'complete' for scrap value.... all more complicated than it was many years ago.
GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Post by GTiJohn »

Silvester wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:57 pm Thanks folks - ideally I'd like to sell it as a parts car, to be stripped an used for spares (save bits going to waste). What would folks think it would be fetch as such?

I did one quick scrap car quote which came out at £191! That assumes the steering works though (plus I need to swap the spare on, one tyre is flat and can't be pumped). Probably need to remove the steering lock. I had been thinking around £100.

I'm unlikely to have time to break it myself but do have the other 218 to get back on the road.

EDIT - depending on the scrappy, there are rules as to how much needs to be there for the car to count as 'complete' for scrap value.... all more complicated than it was many years ago.

Probably £100~200 in parts plus scrap, so put £300max in probate docs.

Depending on the time of year, and location, I'm sure you get offers to help strip.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams...and now Turbos
Silvester
Forum User

Post by Silvester »

Sounds reasonable - been amazed now at the other scrap prices, couple of places at £200, any condition, and one at £223 but must be complete.

Will think about how best to proceed next year.

Thanks for the replies folks!
961tat
Club Member

Post by 961tat »

If you do sell as a whole I would be interested all the best .